Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact Pair / Contact Pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a relatively simple 2D model in which a force is applied to an object which will make it deform and come into contact with another object (base). I would like to measure the contact pressure applied by the deformed object onto the stationary base.

I have set up the contact pair under definitions and then added a contact pair in the physics node, yet my top object is still passing through my base, shown in the picture below.

Can anyone advide me how to fix this issue? I have attached my model for anyone interested in looking.

Thank you, Kieran

2 Replies Last Post 2021年8月2日 GMT-4 04:45
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年7月30日 GMT-4 10:33

This is a visualization effect. Set the scaling factor in the deformation subnode to 1 and you will see that the contact pair is far from touching each other.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
This is a visualization effect. Set the scaling factor in the deformation subnode to 1 and you will see that the contact pair is far from touching each other. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月2日 GMT-4 04:45

Thanks Edgar, I didn't notice this. Once I up the forces so it would be in contact with each other i get an error saying it failed to find a solution. Is this a meshing issue? Or something incorrect with my physics set up?

Thanks

Thanks Edgar, I didn't notice this. Once I up the forces so it would be in contact with each other i get an error saying it failed to find a solution. Is this a meshing issue? Or something incorrect with my physics set up? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.