Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frontal Chromatography

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I am PhD student from Slovak technology University. I ran into a problem and searching for help. I am interested in CFD modeling, it is an embellishment of my experimental disertation thesys. I tried modeling frontal chromatography in matlab (linear driving force model), also COMSOL. The problem is, that competitive two-component Langmuir isotherm is used to describe adsorption therm. Experimentaly overshoot effect was obsserved. LDL model in MATLAB relibly described experimental data (also overshoot), but COMSOL did not, unfortunately... I tried to face this on my own, but failed, that's why I tried this forum... looking for help. Has anybody experience with overshoot effect (or frontal chromatography) modeling in comsol?

The model I made is based on "Transpor of Diluted Species in Porous Media". The result from COMSOL matches the experiment well, but overshoot effect is NOT seen from COMSOL (maximal concnteration of worse binding component coming out form column in liqiud phase is equal to feed concnetration, not possibly higher and that's the problem). I suppose that implicit solver needs to be configurated or PDE solver needs to be change by function or condition, but I am not such great/experienced COMSOL user, yet. Naturaly, it is possible that I made a misstake creating the model. However, all input parameters are the same as in MATLAB. Has anybody experience with problem like mine?

Please help me get through this trouble. I will be greatfull even for little help!!!

Patrik.

0 Replies Last Post 2021年7月30日 GMT-4 08:48
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Patrik Cabadaj

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.