Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Misleading advice in tutorial

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I would like to propose a small correction to your tutorial - it is about model Frequency Selective Surface, Periodic Complementary Split Ring Resonator (Application ID: 78011), https://www.comsol.com/model/frequency-selective-surface-periodic-complementary-split-ring-resonator-78011

I believe, PMLs on both sides are not needed at all there - both ports will deal with it. Here is how one can modify the current model to check my assumption:

1. Disable Periodic conditions 2 and 4 in Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain.
  2. In the main node, Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain, uncheck domains 1 and 5 (which are currently PML). Then the remaining domain selection list will be just 2, 3, and 4.
  3. For Port 1 and Port 2 in Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain, uncheck Activate slit condition on interior port. This is because these ports are no longer internal - they are at external boundaries of the simulation domain.

That's it, one can run the same studies - with smaller and a bit faster model :) Otherwise - thanks a lot for your tutorials and demos, it really helps a lot!

3 Replies Last Post 2023年3月29日 GMT-4 11:22
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月29日 GMT-4 08:49

Hello Vladimir,

This Discussion Forum is intended primarily for discussions among customers. To reach out to COMSOL with feedback and/or questions, please email support@comsol.com .

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Vladimir, This Discussion Forum is intended primarily for discussions among customers. To reach out to COMSOL with feedback and/or questions, please email support@comsol.com . Best regards, Jeff

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月29日 GMT-4 09:24

Hello Vladimir,

That said, thank you for your suggestions. This model is a tutorial, guiding how to use the domain-backed ports combined with PMLs. It also shows how to set PMLs for oblique incidence. It works as a template making a model addressing potential diffractions. We will look into improving the documentation for this model.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hello Vladimir, That said, thank you for your suggestions. This model is a tutorial, guiding how to use the domain-backed ports combined with PMLs. It also shows how to set PMLs for oblique incidence. It works as a template making a model addressing potential diffractions. We will look into improving the documentation for this model. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月29日 GMT-4 11:22

Hello Jeff and Magnus,

Although this is not the right place to give a feedback to COMSOL, I am very surprised how fast I got feedbacks from you :) And you are right - your tutorial models are used as templates, so a big thank you for doing these tutorials!

Hello Jeff and Magnus, Although this is not the right place to give a feedback to COMSOL, I am very surprised how fast I got feedbacks from you :) And you are right - your tutorial models are used as templates, so a big thank you for doing these tutorials!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.