Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving mesh ALE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am simulating a moving boundary with ALE method.

My program is working fine with a certain geometry, mesh and time, but if I would like to change the geometry or set a larger time, then I get a message: "last time step is not converged".

I attached the model that is not working and the good one.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

best regards

3 Replies Last Post 2013年3月15日 GMT-4 03:59
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月3日 GMT-5 08:38
Hi

I'm not sure what is so wrong, in my 4.3a if I clean up the solver sequence, that seems messy or bizarre,
Then set back a time range in the time solver node i.e. 2^range(-4,0.25,3)
then turn off the remeshing, turn on Plot while solving for Each study step, t
hen hit get initial values,
and go to the time plot Surface Plot 1, Coloring tab: turn on wireframe and Quality tab: Resolution: No refinement, Smooting: None (all this to see the mesh deforming while solving)

Then I get a reasonable value, but you should NOT wait 20 sec, as then boundary moves further than the right boundary of your domain and you get inverted mesh elements

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure what is so wrong, in my 4.3a if I clean up the solver sequence, that seems messy or bizarre, Then set back a time range in the time solver node i.e. 2^range(-4,0.25,3) then turn off the remeshing, turn on Plot while solving for Each study step, t hen hit get initial values, and go to the time plot Surface Plot 1, Coloring tab: turn on wireframe and Quality tab: Resolution: No refinement, Smooting: None (all this to see the mesh deforming while solving) Then I get a reasonable value, but you should NOT wait 20 sec, as then boundary moves further than the right boundary of your domain and you get inverted mesh elements -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 02:35
Thank you Ivar! My model is working now how I wish.
Thank you also for the tip to gauge the moving mesh during simulation.

Thank you Ivar! My model is working now how I wish. Thank you also for the tip to gauge the moving mesh during simulation.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月15日 GMT-4 03:59
Hello,
I am asking for your support again.

I am trying to extend my 2d model by adding an aluminum plate. I have set up initial conditions in the right way for all the materials as I see when I get the values for initial conditions but when I am trying to compute i have errors. The mesh is not deforming as I thought and I don't know what is the reason.

I have attached the model and please tell me what I don't set up properly

It can be specified initial condition as constants for each material and therefore the model to work?
Hello, I am asking for your support again. I am trying to extend my 2d model by adding an aluminum plate. I have set up initial conditions in the right way for all the materials as I see when I get the values for initial conditions but when I am trying to compute i have errors. The mesh is not deforming as I thought and I don't know what is the reason. I have attached the model and please tell me what I don't set up properly It can be specified initial condition as constants for each material and therefore the model to work?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.