Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About calculation of the electron trajectory in magnetic lens(2D Axial Symmetry)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am a beginner of COMSOL.

I want to calculate the electron trajectory in magnetic lens(2D Axial Symmetry).
I can calculate the magnetic flux density.
Then I try to calculate the trajectory by using Time Dependent calculation.
However, electrons do not be affected by magnetic field and just go straight.

Could you check the attached file?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

3 Replies Last Post 2016年3月24日 GMT-4 09:15
Christopher Boucher COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月21日 GMT-4 14:20
Hi Yudai,

When applying forces to particles, always make sure that the force feature (in this case the Magnetic Force 1 node) is given an appropriate selection. Currently no domains are selected. In addition, if the force in a 2D axisymmetric model has a nonzero phi-component, make sure that "Include out-of-plane degrees of freedom" is selected in the settings window for the Charged Particle Tracing interface. Otherwise, only motion in the r- and z-directions will be modeled.

Chris
Hi Yudai, When applying forces to particles, always make sure that the force feature (in this case the Magnetic Force 1 node) is given an appropriate selection. Currently no domains are selected. In addition, if the force in a 2D axisymmetric model has a nonzero phi-component, make sure that "Include out-of-plane degrees of freedom" is selected in the settings window for the Charged Particle Tracing interface. Otherwise, only motion in the r- and z-directions will be modeled. Chris

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月22日 GMT-4 10:03
Dear Christopher Boucher,

Thank you so much for your advice. I was able to take one step forward!!
However, I reached a deadlock about other problems.

the error occurs when the setting of "Steps taken by solver" is "Free" and "Strict" and "Intermediate" (refer to "time step setting.png" and "error.png").

If the setting is "manual", the calculation works. However, the result is strange.
the time step is 1e-10, the electron trajectory is converged.
the time step is 1e-11, the electron trajectory is diverged!

I do not understand this result because the smaller time step is set, the better result is obtained.

Could you check the attached file?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yudai
Dear Christopher Boucher, Thank you so much for your advice. I was able to take one step forward!! However, I reached a deadlock about other problems. the error occurs when the setting of "Steps taken by solver" is "Free" and "Strict" and "Intermediate" (refer to "time step setting.png" and "error.png"). If the setting is "manual", the calculation works. However, the result is strange. the time step is 1e-10, the electron trajectory is converged. the time step is 1e-11, the electron trajectory is diverged! I do not understand this result because the smaller time step is set, the better result is obtained. Could you check the attached file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yudai

Christopher Boucher COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月24日 GMT-4 09:15
Hi Yudai,

For relativistic particles in 2D axisymmetric geometries with out-of-plane degrees of freedom, typically "Strict" or "Manual" time stepping is best. For "Strict" you may need to specify an initial or maximum time step.

One way to notably improve the time step convergence of the solution is to specify a lower absolute tolerance for the out-of-plane degrees of freedom. You can control the tolerances on different degrees of freedom from the "Absolute Tolerance" section of the settings window for the "Time-Dependent Solver" feature. In this model, the field for the out-of-plane degrees of freedom is denoted "mod1.oqcpt".

If the particles are moving at relativistic speeds, also remember to select the "Relativistic correction" check box in the settings window for the "Charged Particle Tracing" physics interface.

Chris
Hi Yudai, For relativistic particles in 2D axisymmetric geometries with out-of-plane degrees of freedom, typically "Strict" or "Manual" time stepping is best. For "Strict" you may need to specify an initial or maximum time step. One way to notably improve the time step convergence of the solution is to specify a lower absolute tolerance for the out-of-plane degrees of freedom. You can control the tolerances on different degrees of freedom from the "Absolute Tolerance" section of the settings window for the "Time-Dependent Solver" feature. In this model, the field for the out-of-plane degrees of freedom is denoted "mod1.oqcpt". If the particles are moving at relativistic speeds, also remember to select the "Relativistic correction" check box in the settings window for the "Charged Particle Tracing" physics interface. Chris

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.