Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thomson effect in COMSOL???

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL experts and users,
I am modeling the Joule heating of a simple bar of polysilicon: input is a voltage along the bar, and output is the temperature profile along the bar.

What I have got is that the highest temperature is at the center of the bar. It seems make sense. However, as I know that, if we take into account the Thomson effect, there would be a shift to the temperature, i.e. the highest temperature may NOT be at the center.

***So, I am wondering IF COMSOL takes Thomson effect into account.
Would you please help me out?

***And, if COMSOL does not takes Thomson effect into account, what and how should I do to add this effect to my simulation?

Many thanks in advance!

Bao Q. Ta
PhD Fellow
Vestfold University College
Norway
Phone:+47 33037971 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +47 33037971      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +47 33037971      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

2 Replies Last Post 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:00

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 08:57
COMSOL will not consider any thermoelectric effect on it's own unless you "tought" COMSOL how to do that.

I think it should be possible to model that as a volume heat source, which depends on the temperature(gradient) and the current.

Best regards
COMSOL will not consider any thermoelectric effect on it's own unless you "tought" COMSOL how to do that. I think it should be possible to model that as a volume heat source, which depends on the temperature(gradient) and the current. Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:00
Thank you, K. Herbrig!
I will try doing that way.

Bao
Thank you, K. Herbrig! I will try doing that way. Bao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.