Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[solved] Contact Sliding

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL users,

I have some problems with COMSOL 3.5, in the 2D Plain Stress Model.

I have 2 blocks in contact, I just want to transmit Y-displacements but not X-displacements.

If I created identity pairs and contact pairs, in boundary settings for pairs I can set a constraint (e.g. Roller)... but this constraint prohibits the displacement, yet I want to let them free, do not block them.

Does anyone have a solution ?

thank you in advance
Tim

3 Replies Last Post 2010年12月7日 GMT-5 15:17
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月7日 GMT-5 10:53
Hi

there is one way (slightly cheating with the equations):

i) you select identity continuity boundary conditions,
ii) then you go to the equations view of that identiyt continuity boundary and you replace the "y direction =v" weak constraint by a "0". This will "lock" your equations as Comsol is deecting that you are messing up with it's internal values and cannot tell anmore by itself what you are doing, but it will calculate correctly (for your case). You have always the "reset" button" to find back the default equation and unlock the entry

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is one way (slightly cheating with the equations): i) you select identity continuity boundary conditions, ii) then you go to the equations view of that identiyt continuity boundary and you replace the "y direction =v" weak constraint by a "0". This will "lock" your equations as Comsol is deecting that you are messing up with it's internal values and cannot tell anmore by itself what you are doing, but it will calculate correctly (for your case). You have always the "reset" button" to find back the default equation and unlock the entry -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月7日 GMT-5 11:26
Ok ! It works well.

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

best regards
Tim
Ok ! It works well. Thank you very much for your quick answer. best regards Tim

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月7日 GMT-5 15:17
Hi

that is good,
but do not forget to check carefully the results, as if you are not familiar with the equations and the way they are set up it's very easy to do wrong things this way and you get no warnings, as well as often the errors/discrepancies are subtile and not obvious to identify

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is good, but do not forget to check carefully the results, as if you are not familiar with the equations and the way they are set up it's very easy to do wrong things this way and you get no warnings, as well as often the errors/discrepancies are subtile and not obvious to identify -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.