Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to calculate the integration of any section in comsol 3.5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
Some one help me how to calculate the integration of any section in comsol 3.5, because i see in comsol it calculate only the boundary integration. How can i do that with any boundary integration?
Thanks so much

Long

5 Replies Last Post 2010年12月13日 GMT-5 16:10
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月12日 GMT-5 03:12
Hi

the easiest is to make an internal boundary (with default continuity BC conditions) and integrate on this internal boundary within 3.5a GUI's.
If not, I tend to remember that in V3.5a you must go via matlab to interpolate the results on a virtual cut-plane and integrate thereon.
In V4 you can extract a subset of your solution defined on a cut plane and perform operations thereon

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the easiest is to make an internal boundary (with default continuity BC conditions) and integrate on this internal boundary within 3.5a GUI's. If not, I tend to remember that in V3.5a you must go via matlab to interpolate the results on a virtual cut-plane and integrate thereon. In V4 you can extract a subset of your solution defined on a cut plane and perform operations thereon -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月13日 GMT-5 03:01
Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your answer but i have no comsol v4, just v3.5a so i don't know to make an internal boundary from comsol, can u explain more detail for me please. If not, go via matlab to interpolate the results on a virtual cut-plane and integrate thereon like that i use the function "postint" in comsol with matlab?

Long
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your answer but i have no comsol v4, just v3.5a so i don't know to make an internal boundary from comsol, can u explain more detail for me please. If not, go via matlab to interpolate the results on a virtual cut-plane and integrate thereon like that i use the function "postint" in comsol with matlab? Long

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月13日 GMT-5 05:12
Hi

in 3.5/3.5a (as for 4) you can always cut your volume (CAD or geometry sections). These internal boundaries can then also be used for metrology (integration over edges, surfaces ...) with little extra RAm and sovler complexity costs

And indeed, in matlab, it's via the postinterp() you can extract the interpolated values over a ficitf boundary

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 3.5/3.5a (as for 4) you can always cut your volume (CAD or geometry sections). These internal boundaries can then also be used for metrology (integration over edges, surfaces ...) with little extra RAm and sovler complexity costs And indeed, in matlab, it's via the postinterp() you can extract the interpolated values over a ficitf boundary -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月13日 GMT-5 08:52
Hi,
Now i understand to calculate the boundary integration (edges, surfaces...) but i don't know how to cut the volume to make internal boundary. For example, i have a cube, now i want to make the middle internal surface in the cube, but i can't cut it by the plane. Can u show me these steps to make it?
Thanks so much

Long
Hi, Now i understand to calculate the boundary integration (edges, surfaces...) but i don't know how to cut the volume to make internal boundary. For example, i have a cube, now i want to make the middle internal surface in the cube, but i can't cut it by the plane. Can u show me these steps to make it? Thanks so much Long

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月13日 GMT-5 16:10
Hi

you have the union/intersection ... operations on the geoemtry.

If you have a cube and want to split it in the middle, create another rectangular block that is half the volume of the first one, as they overlap, when they are "analysed" (the moment COMSOL redefines the input geoemtry (objects a la v4) and form entities out of them (entities are (sub) volumes whch are unique, ordered and identified)) you will have two "half" cubes with aa common interiour boundary by default

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the union/intersection ... operations on the geoemtry. If you have a cube and want to split it in the middle, create another rectangular block that is half the volume of the first one, as they overlap, when they are "analysed" (the moment COMSOL redefines the input geoemtry (objects a la v4) and form entities out of them (entities are (sub) volumes whch are unique, ordered and identified)) you will have two "half" cubes with aa common interiour boundary by default -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.