Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to integrate a heat source, problem with units

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey,

my name is jaques.
i try to solve a problem including little heating modules. these modules have a heat output of 25W each and their dimensions are 2.7 x 1.5 x 1.5 cm.
my questions are:
is this a general or a linear source in that case and how do i convert these 25W into W/m³ or W/m³*K.

thanks for your help, even if this perhaps seems to be a total beginners question.

yours truly
jaques

3 Replies Last Post 2010年12月17日 GMT-5 10:45
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月16日 GMT-5 05:06
Hi

if you have a heat source of 25[W] for a given volume, the average heat density you should apply is for a 3D domain

Q[W/m^3] = 25[W]/(your_ domain_volume[m^3])

the your_domain_volume is obtained by a integration variable (or volume operator in V4) of "1" as integrand.

What you must catch with COMSOL is that the values you enter in the GUI fields are defined "per FEM element" of size dV=dx*dy*dz (in Cartesian) so you enter body forces in [N/m^3] and heat in [W/m^3] etc with the assumption that you integrate over the applicable domains.

for 2D nothing changes, but COMSOL assumes its working in 3D with a depth of ".d" or ".thickness" (by default = 1[m] for most physics) so then you must multiply you integrand (on a surface by 1*solid.d for a ST case.

In 2D-axi it is the "loop length" that matters which is "2*pi*r"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a heat source of 25[W] for a given volume, the average heat density you should apply is for a 3D domain Q[W/m^3] = 25[W]/(your_ domain_volume[m^3]) the your_domain_volume is obtained by a integration variable (or volume operator in V4) of "1" as integrand. What you must catch with COMSOL is that the values you enter in the GUI fields are defined "per FEM element" of size dV=dx*dy*dz (in Cartesian) so you enter body forces in [N/m^3] and heat in [W/m^3] etc with the assumption that you integrate over the applicable domains. for 2D nothing changes, but COMSOL assumes its working in 3D with a depth of ".d" or ".thickness" (by default = 1[m] for most physics) so then you must multiply you integrand (on a surface by 1*solid.d for a ST case. In 2D-axi it is the "loop length" that matters which is "2*pi*r" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月17日 GMT-5 07:42
hey ivar,

thanks for you quick reply. theoretically i understand what you told me, but i have a problem in v4 to find the volume operator you mentioned, because i'm new at v4

thanks for your help and have a nice weekend!

jaques
hey ivar, thanks for you quick reply. theoretically i understand what you told me, but i have a problem in v4 to find the volume operator you mentioned, because i'm new at v4 thanks for your help and have a nice weekend! jaques

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月17日 GMT-5 10:45
Hi

the coupling variables are in v4 defined as "Definitions Model Couplings Iintegration" on a domain

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the coupling variables are in v4 defined as "Definitions Model Couplings Iintegration" on a domain -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.