Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting freezes computer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am running a simple geometry with the structural mechanics module and many time steps on Comsolv41 on Unix.
Although my models run as intended, I am experiencing large time delays and sometimes computer freezes when the process comsollauncher tries to plot my results. Can anyone point me to the settings that will allow comsollauncher to work faster?

4 Replies Last Post 2011年3月14日 GMT-4 13:48
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月8日 GMT-5 15:28
Hi

if you have a fine mesh and ask for streamline, or arrow plots, you end up with millions of graphical items, these tend to "freeze" the computer. In the latest 4.1 patch there is a ruler to reduce the density of arrow plots, it helps, but you need to load the FIRST image before being able to change the settings.

Those are the only cases I have felt frozen out, but indeed it's disturbing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a fine mesh and ask for streamline, or arrow plots, you end up with millions of graphical items, these tend to "freeze" the computer. In the latest 4.1 patch there is a ruler to reduce the density of arrow plots, it helps, but you need to load the FIRST image before being able to change the settings. Those are the only cases I have felt frozen out, but indeed it's disturbing -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月9日 GMT-5 12:38
That's interesting. My meshes are not fine and I am only plotting total displacement. Is there perhaps a way to export the data without having to click into the results section of Comsol 4.1? Then perhaps I could avoid the troublesome process completely.
That's interesting. My meshes are not fine and I am only plotting total displacement. Is there perhaps a way to export the data without having to click into the results section of Comsol 4.1? Then perhaps I could avoid the troublesome process completely.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月9日 GMT-5 12:39
Hi

have you tried the latest patch of today #3 ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried the latest patch of today #3 ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月14日 GMT-4 13:48
Now I have. I have also set up livelink so that Matlab can handle the results analysis and plotting. So far so good.
Now I have. I have also set up livelink so that Matlab can handle the results analysis and plotting. So far so good.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.