Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elastic perfectly plastic contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have two touching geometries and I used a thin elastic layer to model the contact. I determined the spring constant of the thin elastic layer as a function of the spring displacement (uspring) to have a elastic perfectly plastic contact to have slipping displacements. The input values of this function changes along the length of the contact. The stiffness expression is "(abs(solid2.uspring3_tel1)<(1[mm]))*100[MPa]*x". During running my parametric study, at a certain value of the parameter that the spring displacement exceeds the 1[mm] limit and the slipping starts I get error.
I want to know what is the expression for spring constant (like "uspring" for it's displacement) to plot it along the contact length and see what happened. I think maybe after that one point reaches my displacement limit the spring stiffness becomes zero at all of the points of the contact (not only at the "x value" I expected and so my model do not converge. I would be happy to know what kind of expression would be better to model this type of contact to prevent what I think was happening.

Thanks in advance

0 Replies Last Post 2017年8月21日 GMT-4 15:10
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ali Vafaei

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.