Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cylindrical coordinates in v4.0a?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

On this page:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/939/

It says:
"COMSOL 4: To add another coordinate system to the Model Builder, right-click Definitions, select Coordinate Systems, and select one of the predefined coordinate systems available in the list. When you are done, you can access the new coordinates with the coordinate system identifier, for example sys2.r."

However when I try to do that, I see no option for adding "Coordinate Systems." I have v4.0a, and am running a 3D Solid Mechanics, Eigenfrequency simulation.

Thanks,

2 Replies Last Post 2011年3月15日 GMT-4 10:05
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月15日 GMT-4 04:55
Hi

once you have added a coordinate system, try to load the initial values = solver nodes "Dependent Variables: right click, Compute to Selected. Normally this clears the error, at least it works in the newer versions of V4.

It has to do with the refresh of the global announcing within COMSOL of the presence of a new variable.

Note that if you start to define your coordinate system, before entering the rest of the model, normally COMSOL knows about it, this issue happens when you add a new coordinate system to a partly set.up or already solved model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi once you have added a coordinate system, try to load the initial values = solver nodes "Dependent Variables: right click, Compute to Selected. Normally this clears the error, at least it works in the newer versions of V4. It has to do with the refresh of the global announcing within COMSOL of the presence of a new variable. Note that if you start to define your coordinate system, before entering the rest of the model, normally COMSOL knows about it, this issue happens when you add a new coordinate system to a partly set.up or already solved model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月15日 GMT-4 10:05
Thanks for your help Ivar,

My apologies, I was right clicking on "Global Definitions" rather than Model 1 > "Definitions". When I right click on the latter, I see the coordinate systems available.
Thanks for your help Ivar, My apologies, I was right clicking on "Global Definitions" rather than Model 1 > "Definitions". When I right click on the latter, I see the coordinate systems available.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.