Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"ALE" VS "Spatial Frame" equivalent for this problem?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I notice that there are many interesting discussions about moving mesh.

Now I have a simple question about ALE and different frames in Comsol 4.1.

Say that want to solve a Darcy's law equation based on the deformed structure mesh. It's similar to solve a heat problem based on the deformed structure.

Two ways to solve this in V4.1.

1. Checked the option "displacements control the spatial frame" (it's checked by default). Solve the solid phase in the material frame, and select the frame type of Darcy's law module to "Spatial frame".

2. Use ALE. Unchecked "displacements control the spatial frame" in solid structure module. Add moving mesh module. Selected Darcy's law frame type to Spatial frame (I was expecting "ALE frame" as version 3.5a, but the name is still "Spatial frame"), ALE displacement set to the displacement of the solid phase.

I tested above two method, they give almost identical results.
But theoretically they should be equivalent?

In this case, they we don't even need ALE for this kind of problem any more? Then where is ALE needed? For extremely large deformation where remesh is needed?

Thanks a lot.
XLi

1 Reply Last Post 2011年3月15日 GMT-4 11:23
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月15日 GMT-4 11:23
Hi

I would also say ALE is for "large displacements", specially if you do not want to model with physics for one or several of the domains.

If you use the spatial frame in solid/structural, you need to define a structural "liquid" or "gas" for many cases. This is possible, but not always correct either. ALE is nothing else (in principle) than a mesh of springs deforming but without acting on the boundaries via pressure or other physical effects, only looking into dformations.

I believeyou would also say that there are differences etween both methods, even if subtle

Then it's a question of "what" precision you requst or expect, do not overdo it, its not worth the calculation time ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would also say ALE is for "large displacements", specially if you do not want to model with physics for one or several of the domains. If you use the spatial frame in solid/structural, you need to define a structural "liquid" or "gas" for many cases. This is possible, but not always correct either. ALE is nothing else (in principle) than a mesh of springs deforming but without acting on the boundaries via pressure or other physical effects, only looking into dformations. I believeyou would also say that there are differences etween both methods, even if subtle Then it's a question of "what" precision you requst or expect, do not overdo it, its not worth the calculation time ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.