Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using output velocity field from prior study step as input to following study step

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using a laminar flow model to simulate the ascent of magma through a cylindrical conduit.

The model is highly non-linear due to the viscosity and density being the product of numerous factors. Therefore, I run into convergence issues when the mesh is too fine.

It was suggested to me that I could run the model with 2 steps, the first with a coarser mesh, and the second step with a finer mesh, using the velocity model from the first step as the initial velocity field.

However, I am struggling to get the model to work as I want. The 3rd step still seems to be sensitive to the initial values defined in the physics, such that the second step will run when certain initial values are coded, but not when others are. The first step (coarser mesh) runs fine for both cases. I would like the second step to be independent of the initial velocity field defined in the physics, and to be driven by the velocity field output from step 1.

I think I am missing something. Could someone please take a look at the attached mph file, and see if they can get it working as I want? The attached model includes the initial values coded in the physics that allow steps 2 and 3 to run. Multiply this by 100 to get step 2 to work but not step 3.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 2017年9月28日 GMT+8 21:03
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Luke Marsden

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.