Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determination of Bending angle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am getting difficulty in measurement of bend angle for my model. can anyone suggest me how to measure the bend angle along z-axis. I can find the displacement in x,y,z axis using u,v,w but how to find the angle of surface or point with reference to y-axis. please find the attachment for more clarification. thank you all.

Thank you for your valuable time.

4 Replies Last Post 2018年1月28日 GMT-5 22:51
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月28日 GMT-5 04:54

How about applying some trigonometry?

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
How about applying some trigonometry?

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月28日 GMT-5 10:04

Dear Edgar,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Initially, I considered the bend angle as tan inverse of dispplacement field in z direction to half length. but if you see from the image attached here the displacement of surface is much higher than what is showing as z-axis displacement.

Thank you.

Dear Edgar, Thanks for your prompt reply. Initially, I considered the bend angle as tan inverse of dispplacement field in z direction to half length. but if you see from the image attached here the displacement of surface is much higher than what is showing as z-axis displacement. Thank you.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月28日 GMT-5 12:56

Keep in mind that the distorted shape has a scale factor that is adjustable. It may LOOK like there is a big displacement when the displacement is really very small.

If the displacement IS large, make sure you have "include geometric nonlinearity" checked.

Finally: although "the answer lies in trigonometry"- it is not clear whether you want the angle at a particular point OR the average angle along the domain. If the first, you may want to use solid.nX, etc. evaluated at particular points.

D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Keep in mind that the distorted shape has a scale factor that is adjustable. It may LOOK like there is a big displacement when the displacement is really very small. If the displacement IS large, make sure you have "include geometric nonlinearity" checked. Finally: although "the answer lies in trigonometry"- it is not clear whether you want the angle at a particular point OR the average angle along the domain. If the first, you may want to use solid.nX, etc. evaluated at particular points. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月28日 GMT-5 22:51

Hi Greve,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Hi Greve, Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.