Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D rototating disk

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi
I'm probably just missing something obvious.... but

in v 4.0 I haven't been able to get a 3D rotating disk laminar flow working
similar to the 2D example given (which works fine)

I have the 3D model built - no problem.

but when it comes to assigning the sliding wall parameters to the disk - I can only find the x/y components
which seems to work just tickity boo - if that was what was wanted.

how do I persuade the disk surface to think it is rotating about z?

the doc says:
"About Cylindrical Coordinate Systems
A Cylindrical Coordinate System may be used in 2D and 3D where rotational symmetry about the axis is required. Note that the cylindrical coordinate system is not applicable in geometries with 2D axisymmetry."

I defined a cylindrical coordinate system.... but can't figure out to tell the program to use it

do I have to resort to something messy like moving mesh?

1 Reply Last Post 2011年4月6日 GMT-4 01:34
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月6日 GMT-4 01:34
Hi

you select the coordinate system in the "Coordinate System Selection" tab of the BC's (but its not always present particularly in v4.0, upgrade to latest version you will have more fun ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you select the coordinate system in the "Coordinate System Selection" tab of the BC's (but its not always present particularly in v4.0, upgrade to latest version you will have more fun ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.