Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

RF module Mie scattering tutorial (gold sphere)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3459/
I obtained the absorption cross-section and scattering cross-section,but i want to obtain

absorption coefficient and scattering coefficient ? what to do next?

thanks a lot

9 Replies Last Post 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 09:11
COMSOL Moderator

Hello WB Zou

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年7月29日 GMT-4 07:11
hi WB,

i am having trouble in calculating scattering cross secrion and absorbstion cross section in comsol 4.2 ,which is basically re-writing - mie scattering from sphere 3.5a in version to 4.2. Can u help me figure out the error.
hi WB, i am having trouble in calculating scattering cross secrion and absorbstion cross section in comsol 4.2 ,which is basically re-writing - mie scattering from sphere 3.5a in version to 4.2. Can u help me figure out the error.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月25日 GMT-4 03:31
Hi, Anupam Ghosh

I downloaded your mph file. However, it cannot be performed in our workstation.

I guess it is the problem that several variables should be changed to ones which can be recognized by COMSOL 4.2.

In fact, I can not find variables like "scEx, scEy" etc in COMSOL 4.2

Have you solved the problem?

hi WB,

i am having trouble in calculating scattering cross secrion and absorbstion cross section in comsol 4.2 ,which is basically re-writing - mie scattering from sphere 3.5a in version to 4.2. Can u help me figure out the error.

Hi, Anupam Ghosh I downloaded your mph file. However, it cannot be performed in our workstation. I guess it is the problem that several variables should be changed to ones which can be recognized by COMSOL 4.2. In fact, I can not find variables like "scEx, scEy" etc in COMSOL 4.2 Have you solved the problem? [QUOTE] hi WB, i am having trouble in calculating scattering cross secrion and absorbstion cross section in comsol 4.2 ,which is basically re-writing - mie scattering from sphere 3.5a in version to 4.2. Can u help me figure out the error. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月25日 GMT-4 03:32
Hi, WB.

I am now using v4.2. Have you ever got the ACS and SCS in v4.2?

We have problems realizing the model in v4.2.

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3459/
I obtained the absorption cross-section and scattering cross-section,but i want to obtain

absorption coefficient and scattering coefficient ? what to do next?

thanks a lot

Hi, WB. I am now using v4.2. Have you ever got the ACS and SCS in v4.2? We have problems realizing the model in v4.2. [QUOTE] http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3459/ I obtained the absorption cross-section and scattering cross-section,but i want to obtain absorption coefficient and scattering coefficient ? what to do next? thanks a lot [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月25日 GMT-4 04:43
Hi keya,

Thanks for trying to trouble shoot the problem.

Yes u r correct - its the variable mismatch that's causing the problem .

For info about variable names in Comsol 4.2 ,try the equation view mode (in model builder tab --> an eye is made -->click n choose equation view) and then see various categories under the physics --> electromagnetic waves.

I have still not figured out the way to run 3.5a Mie scattering in 4.2 but the method i m adopting is :-
i m running the 3.5a program in 3.5a and then i ll compare (check out - "equation system view" in 3.5a, u can find more about it in help files of 3.5a + Far-Field post processing in 3.5a) with the settings in 4.2 ,may be that can give a clue about modifications to b made in 3.5a version so as to run it in 4.2.

keep me updated with yr progress...
Hi keya, Thanks for trying to trouble shoot the problem. Yes u r correct - its the variable mismatch that's causing the problem . For info about variable names in Comsol 4.2 ,try the equation view mode (in model builder tab --> an eye is made -->click n choose equation view) and then see various categories under the physics --> electromagnetic waves. I have still not figured out the way to run 3.5a Mie scattering in 4.2 but the method i m adopting is :- i m running the 3.5a program in 3.5a and then i ll compare (check out - "equation system view" in 3.5a, u can find more about it in help files of 3.5a + Far-Field post processing in 3.5a) with the settings in 4.2 ,may be that can give a clue about modifications to b made in 3.5a version so as to run it in 4.2. keep me updated with yr progress...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月25日 GMT-4 04:56
I already tried the equation view mode. However, I cannot find the scattered electromagnetic field corresponding to scEx, or scHy etc.

BTW, it seems that the parameters and variables are both changed in COMSOL v4.2. I guess it might be the reason why we cannot perform the simulation in 4.2.

I am now studying on that.

"www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/18827/" also gave some comments on this issue which might help.

Hi keya,

Thanks for trying to trouble shoot the problem.

Yes u r correct - its the variable mismatch that's causing the problem .

For info about variable names in Comsol 4.2 ,try the equation view mode (in model builder tab --> an eye is made -->click n choose equation view) and then see various categories under the physics --> electromagnetic waves.

I have still not figured out the way to run 3.5a Mie scattering in 4.2 but the method i m adopting is :-
i m running the 3.5a program in 3.5a and then i ll compare (check out - "equation system view" in 3.5a, u can find more about it in help files of 3.5a + Far-Field post processing in 3.5a) with the settings in 4.2 ,may be that can give a clue about modifications to b made in 3.5a version so as to run it in 4.2.

keep me updated with yr progress...

I already tried the equation view mode. However, I cannot find the scattered electromagnetic field corresponding to scEx, or scHy etc. BTW, it seems that the parameters and variables are both changed in COMSOL v4.2. I guess it might be the reason why we cannot perform the simulation in 4.2. I am now studying on that. "http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/18827/" also gave some comments on this issue which might help. [QUOTE] Hi keya, Thanks for trying to trouble shoot the problem. Yes u r correct - its the variable mismatch that's causing the problem . For info about variable names in Comsol 4.2 ,try the equation view mode (in model builder tab --> an eye is made -->click n choose equation view) and then see various categories under the physics --> electromagnetic waves. I have still not figured out the way to run 3.5a Mie scattering in 4.2 but the method i m adopting is :- i m running the 3.5a program in 3.5a and then i ll compare (check out - "equation system view" in 3.5a, u can find more about it in help files of 3.5a + Far-Field post processing in 3.5a) with the settings in 4.2 ,may be that can give a clue about modifications to b made in 3.5a version so as to run it in 4.2. keep me updated with yr progress... [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月25日 GMT-4 05:13
Yes , i have see that thread .rfw vs .emw

i think the way the same algorithm of 3.5a will b executed in 4.2 will b different (even after fixing the variable issue).

now since we know the problem, lets see if we can come up with the solution.

best...
Yes , i have see that thread .rfw vs .emw i think the way the same algorithm of 3.5a will b executed in 4.2 will b different (even after fixing the variable issue). now since we know the problem, lets see if we can come up with the solution. best...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月4日 GMT-4 14:01
Hi guys,
I just saw this thread. I am also having the same problem in calculating the far field properties of a nanosphere in v4.2. Did you guys figure out the problem if yes then please guide me also.

Thanks,
BR,
Adnan
Hi guys, I just saw this thread. I am also having the same problem in calculating the far field properties of a nanosphere in v4.2. Did you guys figure out the problem if yes then please guide me also. Thanks, BR, Adnan

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月11日 GMT-5 15:21
any one have find scartering and absorptin cross section then sendme please...
any one have find scartering and absorptin cross section then sendme please...

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 09:11
Hello,
The discussion in this thread originates with a model that is out-of-date and no longer available on our website. That model addressed the question of modeling scattering off of a gold nanoshpere, and there is a newer model that should address all of the questions raised here:
www.comsol.com/model/optical-scattering-by-gold-nanospheres-14697

Since this thread does discuss questions relating to an out-of-date model, we are going to close this thread for further comments. If there are questions about the above model, please of course feel free to open a new discussion thread.
Best Regards,
Hello, The discussion in this thread originates with a model that is out-of-date and no longer available on our website. That model addressed the question of modeling scattering off of a gold nanoshpere, and there is a newer model that should address all of the questions raised here: https://www.comsol.com/model/optical-scattering-by-gold-nanospheres-14697 Since this thread does discuss questions relating to an out-of-date model, we are going to close this thread for further comments. If there are questions about the above model, please of course feel free to open a new discussion thread. Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.