Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Animation Scale Factor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to create an animation of my simulation.

Every time I create it (under Report > Animation), the scale factor is reactivated to some arbitrary value EVEN if I deselect it or specifically tell COMSOL that I don't want any scaling (i.e. scaling factor = 1).

I tried in 2D Plot Group 1 > Surface 1 under "Inherit Style" to uncheck the "Deform scale factor" but every time I export my animation, this gets automatically checked again.

I tried in 2D Plot Group 1 > Surface 1 > Deformation 1 under "Scale" to put a scale factor of 1 but when I export my animation, it gets automatically changed to an arbitrary value.

Question: How to create an animation that actually include the deformation BUT to its real value (i.e. Scaling Factor = 1)?

I tried a "Reset History" and rebooting COMSOL but it still gets back to some annoying scaling factor.

Anyone has any ideas how to deactive this?

Thanks.

8 Replies Last Post 2017年6月17日 GMT-4 05:10
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月18日 GMT-4 14:40
Hi

I would like to know too ;)
In 3.5 you had eiter autoscale or "use screen scale" forthe overall view, but then I'm not sure the deformation was controllable, neither not the scale color code adapting between images

In V4 I'm also lacking better control, hope something more advanced will come in next release

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would like to know too ;) In 3.5 you had eiter autoscale or "use screen scale" forthe overall view, but then I'm not sure the deformation was controllable, neither not the scale color code adapting between images In V4 I'm also lacking better control, hope something more advanced will come in next release -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月3日 GMT-5 12:10
I too have this problem when trying to export an animation of groundwater flow. The flow vectors I have plotted arbitrarily change length during the exported GIF. This is one annoying bug!
I too have this problem when trying to export an animation of groundwater flow. The flow vectors I have plotted arbitrarily change length during the exported GIF. This is one annoying bug!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月3日 GMT-5 14:21
Hi

I have understood the programmers call these things "features", and not "bugs" as there is nothing wrong/false, it's just not how many of us had expected the display to run, but having a" freeze scale" option would be an even better "feature" ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have understood the programmers call these things "features", and not "bugs" as there is nothing wrong/false, it's just not how many of us had expected the display to run, but having a" freeze scale" option would be an even better "feature" ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月4日 GMT-5 10:47
Hi,

I have just seen a similar problem in my animations (when exporting to gif or flash). Exporting with a legend (in my case the changing parameter between frames is simulated time) causes the periodic rescaling of the frames depending on if the time appearing at the top has 3 (e.g. t = 1.31s) or 2 digits ((e.g. t = 1.3s).

Those animations are mainly used for the presentation of my results, this dynamic rescaling resulting in kind of a flickering (or beating) video makes the export animation option less attractive to use. If this is an issue (missing option to keep the digits of my time parameter constant) of the software, I would be happy to see an improvement in the next version. Else please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Hi, I have just seen a similar problem in my animations (when exporting to gif or flash). Exporting with a legend (in my case the changing parameter between frames is simulated time) causes the periodic rescaling of the frames depending on if the time appearing at the top has 3 (e.g. t = 1.31s) or 2 digits ((e.g. t = 1.3s). Those animations are mainly used for the presentation of my results, this dynamic rescaling resulting in kind of a flickering (or beating) video makes the export animation option less attractive to use. If this is an issue (missing option to keep the digits of my time parameter constant) of the software, I would be happy to see an improvement in the next version. Else please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月4日 GMT-5 11:09
Hi

in the bottom of the Animation tab there is a "Synchronisze scales between frames" that is by default on, turning it off might give you your effects

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the bottom of the Animation tab there is a "Synchronisze scales between frames" that is by default on, turning it off might give you your effects -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月5日 GMT-5 05:06
OK,

Apparently version 4.3a does have such a button, version 4.3 does not.

Matias
OK, Apparently version 4.3a does have such a button, version 4.3 does not. Matias

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月11日 GMT-4 06:09
There is another level of settings for the graphs, for instance under Stress (solid) > Surface 1 > Deformation where this setting is located.
There is another level of settings for the graphs, for instance under Stress (solid) > Surface 1 > Deformation where this setting is located.

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月17日 GMT-4 05:10
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年6月17日 GMT-4 05:10
Follow this

Results-->Stress-->Surface 1-->Deformation-->You will find Scale over there. Just change the scale factor to 1. :)
Follow this Results-->Stress-->Surface 1-->Deformation-->You will find Scale over there. Just change the scale factor to 1. :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.