Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with cylindrical wave radiation in free field

Jean-Philippe Regnard

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate the propagation of acoustic wave from a pulsing sphere. Before to make a simulation with complicated geometry, i try tu validate the acoustic source with a very simple model, but it doesn't works:
I define a circular domain (air) with a little circular source at the center. I apply to this source a cylindrical wave radiation boundary condition. The amplitude is fixed at 1Pa.
The domain (large circle) have impedance boundary condition equal to the air one to simulate a free field.
The simulation is made on the frequency range 10 - 1000Hz.
The results show a decrease of the sound pressure with respect to the distance from the source in agree with the theory, but there is a problem:
The sound pressure of the acoustic source decrease with respect to the frequency. However the source is set to generate 1Pa for all the frequency range.
I checked for other sources (plane wave, pressure), there is the same phenomena. But if i simulate a waveguide, this phenomena doesn't appear.
I don't understand what happend.
Can you help me please.
Thanks a lot!!!!
Jean-Philippe

0 Replies Last Post 2011年6月16日 GMT-4 16:10
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jean-Philippe Regnard

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.