Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to model ALE (solid-liquid interface) & moving boundary (topography change)? -thx

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Questions

I’m a working on the modeling the laser-material interaction, which is typically a thermal one and involves phase change of melting and evaporation, recoil pressure induced by the evaporation and movement of the liquid (melting material) using Navier-Stoke. After severel weeks study and research, a lot of questions puzzle me all time. Could anyone here do me a favor to give me some suggestion and tips, thanks for your help sincerely in advance.

1. ALE

From the papers and materials in literature I have read already, ALE is a comman method to track the solid-liquid interface and liquid-gas interface. But this need to specify the displacement or velocity.
In my model, the interface is physically correlative to the temperature (melting point or evaporation temperature). The liquid-gas interface can be traced using the velocity of the liquid, but there is no velocity at the solid-liquid interface (is there any chance to use the velocity of liquid again, just like the liquid-gas interface?). In this kind of situation where there is no obvious velocity term in domain, just like the solid-liquid interface here, how to built the moving of the mesh is the most difficult problem which puzzle me a lot? Could you give me some idea? Thanks.

2. liquid volume fraction

The method of liquid volume fraction fl can distinguish the liquid and the solid, of which the value are 1 and 0 respectively. but how to plot and visualize the function puzzle me to see the different zone, though I think it is a very basic question. Could you give some idea? Thanks.

3. Moving boundary

As the laser-material interaction time go on, the bulk material will remove and a new boundary of laser-material interaction is created, ie.the laser-matterial interaction is a moving boundary. How to deal the moving boundary or the geometry change? As far as I known, the common method to change the topography or geometry is to change the matterial properties or build the geophagy with t (time). But the geography changes according to the temperature (evaporation temperature ), how and what can I do to deal with this?

Thans for you suggestion and tips very much.
Best regards to you and your family.

FM Huang

2 Replies Last Post 2012年2月9日 GMT-5 01:35

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月10日 GMT-4 22:08
I am solving a similar problem. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月9日 GMT-5 01:35

Hi,
have you solve the problem relative to the laser model?
could you mind giving me some tips and guidance?
best wishes to you and your family
[QUOTE] I am solving a similar problem. Any help will be highly appreciated. [/QUOTE] Hi, have you solve the problem relative to the laser model? could you mind giving me some tips and guidance? best wishes to you and your family

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.