Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fine mesh that grows into coarse mesh one domain COMSOL4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a question concerning the mesh in COMSOL 4.2:
I am rotating a cylindrical solid body with slots in a cylindrical tank filled with liquid (2D laminar fluid flow, stationary). The simulation itself workis fine.
So my question is, is it possible to create a finer mesh inside the slots which grows slowly into a coarser mesh towards the outer boundary (wall of the tank)? So far I am using the mesh generated by COMSOL, but as I heared from some experienced ANSYS users the mesh for fluid flow should be reactangular. I have tried to do it myself. I have reactangular elements now, but as I increase the number of elements at the slot walls I run into non-convergence problems and the mesh still looks very evenly distributed. I am particularly interested in areas in the vicinity of the slots.
Maybe someone had a similar problem and can help me out? So far I have not used COMSOL frequently, but hopefully this will change in the future ;O).

Thanks a lot for your help!

2 Replies Last Post 2011年10月14日 GMT-4 06:23
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月13日 GMT-4 05:12
Hi

check the manual meshing option, if you start by selecting edges, you can add a "Distribution" subnode, there you can define different functions for the distribution, such as exponential, log ... check out all the features, one by one ;) And read through the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the manual meshing option, if you start by selecting edges, you can add a "Distribution" subnode, there you can define different functions for the distribution, such as exponential, log ... check out all the features, one by one ;) And read through the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月14日 GMT-4 06:23
Hi Ivar,

thanks a lot for the tip. I found some examples in the COMSOL guide about free meshing ect.. So I guess I need to exercise with a simple structure first :O)
Maybe I need to post again if I do not succeed...

Have a nice weekend!
Hi Ivar, thanks a lot for the tip. I found some examples in the COMSOL guide about free meshing ect.. So I guess I need to exercise with a simple structure first :O) Maybe I need to post again if I do not succeed... Have a nice weekend!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.