Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Delete user defined material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello fellow COMSOLers,

is there a way to remove materials from the user defined materials library. I already checked the forum and manual but cannot find anything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards, André

3 Replies Last Post 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 09:06
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 02:49

Hi André,

User-defined material libraries are stored as COMSOL MPH-files, so you can open them in the COMSOL Desktop like any other COMSOL model. Then delete the Material nodes for the materials that you want to remove and save the MPH-file. Finally, restart COMSOL to load the updated user-defined material library.

Best regards,

Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi André, User-defined material libraries are stored as COMSOL MPH-files, so you can open them in the COMSOL Desktop like any other COMSOL model. Then delete the **Material** nodes for the materials that you want to remove and save the MPH-file. Finally, restart COMSOL to load the updated user-defined material library. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 02:57
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 02:58

Hi Andre,

The user defined materials are actually stored in an ordinary mph file. If you are running Windows you will find it in a folder like C:\Users\<username>\.comsol\v54\materials.

You are free to edit that file. You can remove materials, or change values of material constants.

You can even add more files in that folder, and they will appear in your materials browser tree.

Regards,
Henrik

EDIT: I was slightly slower than Magnus

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Andre, The user defined materials are actually stored in an ordinary mph file. If you are running Windows you will find it in a folder like C:\Users\\\.comsol\v54\materials. You are free to edit that file. You can remove materials, or change values of material constants. You can even add more files in that folder, and they will appear in your materials browser tree. Regards, Henrik EDIT: I was slightly slower than Magnus

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 09:06
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年6月25日 GMT-4 09:06

Hi Magnus and Henrik,

thanks a lot. When I was searching for the material database, for some reason I was expecting an xml file. Obviously I've been wrong.

Alright. As always, thanks for your help.

Best regards, André

Hi Magnus and Henrik, thanks a lot. When I was searching for the material database, for some reason I was expecting an xml file. Obviously I've been wrong. Alright. As always, thanks for your help. Best regards, André

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.