Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there any way for import a file from the outside (i.e. background) as an initial value

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have an initial temperature field distribution T0(r,z,t=0), and I want to use that as my initial field to study the thermal diffusion problem. How to do this?

3 Replies Last Post 2019年10月24日 GMT-4 23:03
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年10月24日 GMT-4 09:28
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年10月24日 GMT-4 05:30

I assume that the initial temperature field distribution is something you measured or computed outside of COMSOL. If so, you can use Interpolation Functions for that. There are many threads on this Discussion Forum on this topic, and of course the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, accessible from File > Help >Documentation.

If the initial temperature field distribution is computed by COMSOL, then you would use consecutive study steps in a single model.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
I assume that the initial temperature field distribution is something you measured or computed outside of COMSOL. If so, you can use Interpolation Functions for that. There are many threads on this Discussion Forum on this topic, and of course the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, accessible from File > Help >Documentation. If the initial temperature field distribution is computed by COMSOL, then you would use consecutive study steps in a single model. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年10月24日 GMT-4 21:04

Dear Jeff, Yes, the initial temperature field distribution is computed outside of COMSOL. I want to study the evolution of the temperature field with the help of COMSOL. Thank you for your suggestion. Zeng

Dear Jeff, Yes, the initial temperature field distribution is computed outside of COMSOL. I want to study the evolution of the temperature field with the help of COMSOL. Thank you for your suggestion. Zeng

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年10月24日 GMT-4 23:03

Dear Jeff, I have used the Interpolation Functions to import my calcuated data,which is shown is the figure 'res.JPG'. However, it was a far cry from what I wanted. The initial field that I want to express is shown in figure 'matlab.JPG', which is handled by matlab. I don't know how to express this result in comsol. Especially if my initial result is near the boundary, how do I specify the its location. I searched the case database for a long time but could not find a similar case. I hope you can directly give me some links to similar cases. Thank you. Zeng

Dear Jeff, I have used the Interpolation Functions to import my calcuated data,which is shown is the figure 'res.JPG'. However, it was a far cry from what I wanted. The initial field that I want to express is shown in figure 'matlab.JPG', which is handled by matlab. I don't know how to express this result in comsol. Especially if my initial result is near the boundary, how do I specify the its location. I searched the case database for a long time but could not find a similar case. I hope you can directly give me some links to similar cases. Thank you. Zeng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.