Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disk Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have run my time-dependent model and it solved nicely a while ago. Then I left the computer, and when I came back and tried to view a different time, an error pop up jumped saying "Disk error while reading form temporary solution file".

Now it seems I cannot view any of the results of the computation; in addition, the icon on the solution (aka the small picture near the 'Temperature (ih)' and the 'Volume 1') has a red small X at the buttom-right corner.

Has anyone met this error before? What does it mean? How can I get around it? The computation took around 5.5 hours, I don't want to have it recompute only to get the same error again.

Thanks,
Shoval

7 Replies Last Post 2012年4月25日 GMT-4 07:51

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月9日 GMT-5 09:46
please be noted that the same has been asked here:
www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/16052/

so it doesn't have anything to do with the version (I'm using 4.2), or the RAM or the hard disk(I too have plenty of all these).

Thanks again.
please be noted that the same has been asked here: http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/16052/ so it doesn't have anything to do with the version (I'm using 4.2), or the RAM or the hard disk(I too have plenty of all these). Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月9日 GMT-5 10:19
Hi

have you checked that you are not in FAT32 which is limited to 2Gb file sizes, while for such long runs you can get easily tens of Gb temporary file ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked that you are not in FAT32 which is limited to 2Gb file sizes, while for such long runs you can get easily tens of Gb temporary file ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月9日 GMT-5 10:28
Hi again,

I don't know much about these, or even how to check it out, but the point is that the solution worked fine and was also dealt with before, and just after a while it stopped.

I'll describe it to you this way: today I came to the lab and looked at the solution for time=7*pi. then I changed time to 0, and error pops up; then I change it back to 7pi, and error pops up.

The hard disk has 26 GB of free space, if it matters~.

Could you direct me how to locate my temporary file folder?

Thank you,
Shoval
Hi again, I don't know much about these, or even how to check it out, but the point is that the solution worked fine and was also dealt with before, and just after a while it stopped. I'll describe it to you this way: today I came to the lab and looked at the solution for time=7*pi. then I changed time to 0, and error pops up; then I change it back to 7pi, and error pops up. The hard disk has 26 GB of free space, if it matters~. Could you direct me how to locate my temporary file folder? Thank you, Shoval

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月9日 GMT-5 15:53
Hi

What I was referring to is the maximal size of a single file. Even if you have 100Gb free, if your file system is a fat32, still used by certain, paticularly for Linux/Windows mutual shearing, then your individual file size is limted to 2Gb (if I remember right). I had some of those problems on my D: disk that is still a fat32 because of Linux/Windows common shearing ;)
When I switched back (for the cratch and file storage) to my NTFS C: file format It worked OK.

But again this might not be your issu anyhow, just a potential case for file error trouble. As >5-8 Gb files are easily made with COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi What I was referring to is the maximal size of a single file. Even if you have 100Gb free, if your file system is a fat32, still used by certain, paticularly for Linux/Windows mutual shearing, then your individual file size is limted to 2Gb (if I remember right). I had some of those problems on my D: disk that is still a fat32 because of Linux/Windows common shearing ;) When I switched back (for the cratch and file storage) to my NTFS C: file format It worked OK. But again this might not be your issu anyhow, just a potential case for file error trouble. As >5-8 Gb files are easily made with COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月18日 GMT-4 08:19
Well here I am again, with the same problem. This time the computation was much bigger and longer, a parametric sweep which took in total more than 2 days. Can you tell me how to check if I am using a FAT32 and how to change that if I am? Should I contact COMSOL about it?

thanks again,

Shoval
Well here I am again, with the same problem. This time the computation was much bigger and longer, a parametric sweep which took in total more than 2 days. Can you tell me how to check if I am using a FAT32 and how to change that if I am? Should I contact COMSOL about it? thanks again, Shoval

Sanjay Mukuntha Madhava

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月18日 GMT-4 11:35
If you are using Windows, right click on the drive and check properties.. You should should see the file type...
and to change to NTFS support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
If you are using Windows, right click on the drive and check properties.. You should should see the file type... and to change to NTFS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月25日 GMT-4 07:51
Hello,

I'm also experiencing this problem. I checked my disk and its running on NTFS. I unchecked the option in comsol to save recovery files and the problem persists. Did anybody find a solution to this disk error?

--
Patricio Davila
Hello, I'm also experiencing this problem. I checked my disk and its running on NTFS. I unchecked the option in comsol to save recovery files and the problem persists. Did anybody find a solution to this disk error? -- Patricio Davila

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.