Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fillets in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there,

a question regarding geometry modeling. Suppose I have a 3D geometry, for example a tube with a 90° bifurcation, and suppose I would like to avoid the sharp edges at the bifurcation and add fillets as I would normally do in 3D. How can I perform this operation on a 3D geometry? As far as I know I cannot apply the fillet operation in 3D (if so, why?).

Best,

J

3 Replies Last Post 2017年4月28日 GMT-4 05:54
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月17日 GMT-5 05:03
Hi

indeed the internal COMSOL geometry does not have 3D fillets, only 2D fillets, to make cube there is an example discussed (on the forum) try a search

personally I use my external CAD programme for such things

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed the internal COMSOL geometry does not have 3D fillets, only 2D fillets, to make cube there is an example discussed (on the forum) try a search personally I use my external CAD programme for such things -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 10:13
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module
Best,
Jeff
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月28日 GMT-4 05:54
Hi,

the handy solution I'm using sometime is to build the fillet from scratch:
I make the 3D model, add a prism where the fillet should be, then subtract a cylinder to it, and you get a fillet...

Not very smart or fast, but for simple geometries works.

Giorgio
Hi, the handy solution I'm using sometime is to build the fillet from scratch: I make the 3D model, add a prism where the fillet should be, then subtract a cylinder to it, and you get a fillet... Not very smart or fast, but for simple geometries works. Giorgio

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.