Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving Mesh - Can you see it before you compute?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm using COMSOL 4.0a. Whenever I apply a free tetrahedral mesh, I can see it on the structure immediately. However, now I need to use a moving mesh to combine the results of structure deflection and fluid flow. I cannot get the solver to compute without errors. Am I supposed to immediately see the original position of the moving mesh once I specify all of the parameters the same way I see the tetrahedral mesh?

--
Laura Barkett
The Miltec Corporation, Emerging Technologies
NASA, Nuclear Propulsion

4 Replies Last Post 2012年5月29日 GMT-4 03:47
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月24日 GMT-5 15:07
Hi

First of all, if you have the possibility try to use a later version as v4.0 was eally not fully ironed out ;)
It's also more fun to have a more stable tool

This said, I do NOT believe you are supposed to see the mesh deform like that, as to get the propagation of the shape the solver must be in action, or have run. Then by default you do not see the (final) mesh in the result plots, best is to turn on Wireframe and possibly off quality: rendering/smoothing.

Then to see what happens, do not forget to turn on "plot whle solving" I hope it was lready there in v4.0

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi First of all, if you have the possibility try to use a later version as v4.0 was eally not fully ironed out ;) It's also more fun to have a more stable tool This said, I do NOT believe you are supposed to see the mesh deform like that, as to get the propagation of the shape the solver must be in action, or have run. Then by default you do not see the (final) mesh in the result plots, best is to turn on Wireframe and possibly off quality: rendering/smoothing. Then to see what happens, do not forget to turn on "plot whle solving" I hope it was lready there in v4.0 -- Good luck Ivar

Ananiah Durai Sundararajan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月28日 GMT-4 20:24
Hi,
I find trouble locating the moving mesh interface, could you please help me find the tab
Hi, I find trouble locating the moving mesh interface, could you please help me find the tab

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月29日 GMT-4 02:16
Hi

it depends on the physics you apply, several have included the ALE in the combination of several individual "physics".
You can find the moving mesh and deformed geometry under the PDE node of the physics lists

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it depends on the physics you apply, several have included the ALE in the combination of several individual "physics". You can find the moving mesh and deformed geometry under the PDE node of the physics lists -- Good luck Ivar

Ananiah Durai Sundararajan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月29日 GMT-4 03:47
Thanks Ivar, I could able to locate under mathematics-PDE Interfaces-Deformed Mesh-Moving Mesh. Can you please advise me how to combine this moving mesh with Solid Mechanics and Electrostatic physics.

Thanks for your help
Thanks Ivar, I could able to locate under mathematics-PDE Interfaces-Deformed Mesh-Moving Mesh. Can you please advise me how to combine this moving mesh with Solid Mechanics and Electrostatic physics. Thanks for your help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.