Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D curve to 3D plot?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I got two questions:
1)
I want to make a revolution of 1D curve to obtain a 3D plot - but how is this done?

2)
The 1D curve is one result of a coupled system of PDEs and I would also like to know if it is possible to color the result of the 1D curve (as well as the 3D) using the resulting data from one of the other PDEs?

5 Replies Last Post 2012年3月1日 GMT-5 10:45
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月29日 GMT-5 08:01
Hi

are you talking about results or geometry ?

anyhow in both cases you must either close your 2D line to convert it to a surface, or map your results to a 2D surface, and then revolve the surface to get any 3D

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you talking about results or geometry ? anyhow in both cases you must either close your 2D line to convert it to a surface, or map your results to a 2D surface, and then revolve the surface to get any 3D -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月29日 GMT-5 09:53
I am solving the equations (1D) and I want to use the results to obtain a 3D plot. How can I take a 1D plot and convert map it to a surface then?
I am solving the equations (1D) and I want to use the results to obtain a 3D plot. How can I take a 1D plot and convert map it to a surface then?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月29日 GMT-5 16:29
Hi

check the Data Set right click Parametric Extrusion and Revolution (in 1D or 2D)

then add 2D or 3D plot referring to these Data Sets

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the Data Set right click Parametric Extrusion and Revolution (in 1D or 2D) then add 2D or 3D plot referring to these Data Sets -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月1日 GMT-5 07:26
I tried it - but I am only capable of getting out plots of large cylinders and not the actual result? I have attached the model (with out the computed solutions - should take less then 30s to find) to show what I generally try.
I tried it - but I am only capable of getting out plots of large cylinders and not the actual result? I have attached the model (with out the computed solutions - should take less then 30s to find) to show what I generally try.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月1日 GMT-5 10:45
Hi

indeed not sure why, probably its easiest to ask support.
Furthermore, when I tried to change the Data Set and plot settings it crashed COMSOL without any further notice !

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed not sure why, probably its easiest to ask support. Furthermore, when I tried to change the Data Set and plot settings it crashed COMSOL without any further notice ! -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.