Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic and Electric fields for coil coated with an electrically conductive material (two materials for coil)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol Community,

My objective is to observe the resonance for an inductor (coil thickness in range of micrometers) coated with a very thin electrically conductive material (1-2 um thick). I have generated a 2D axymmetric model for this purpose. I can easily simulate the resonance of the inductor alone (without the coating) with Magnetic and Electric fields (MEF) interface.

However, when I add another material on the surface of the inductor, an error is generated pertaining to the electric potential, an undefined variable - comp1.V. When I just use the Magnetic fields interface, there's no such error. As I see to it, the RLC coil group in the MEF interface computes the electric potential difference between the coil turns and assumes the potential to be the same across the coil cross-section, which isn't true in my case, as I have two materials associated on the coil domain. Is there any solution to modeling these thin domains surrounding the coils? I have attached the .mph file and generated error for your reference. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Saoni

0 Replies Last Post 2020年7月30日 GMT-4 18:46
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Saoni Banerji

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.