Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric sweep changing mesh hmax: sweep in batch or solver node?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
where is the proper place for a parametric sweep node which runs a (stationary) study for several hmax values for the mesh?

model.sol(<solname>).feature(<fname>).feature.create('p1','Parametric');
or
model.batch.create('p1', 'Parametric');

Best regards

4 Replies Last Post 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 14:42

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月4日 GMT-5 10:12
Just found out that parametric sweep that alters a mesh or geometry parameter has to be a batch-node sweep, a solver-sweep won't work.
Just found out that parametric sweep that alters a mesh or geometry parameter has to be a batch-node sweep, a solver-sweep won't work.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月4日 GMT-5 17:34
Hi

In the GUI you need to add tha Parametric Sweep node before the solver node to get around the geoemtry and/or mesh. The solver swep (continuation) does NOT loop around the geoemtry nor mesh.

Another difference: the contination sweep uses the initial condition of sweep "n" to start sweep "n+1", while the parametric swep start from orignal initial conditions for EACH step

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In the GUI you need to add tha Parametric Sweep node before the solver node to get around the geoemtry and/or mesh. The solver swep (continuation) does NOT loop around the geoemtry nor mesh. Another difference: the contination sweep uses the initial condition of sweep "n" to start sweep "n+1", while the parametric swep start from orignal initial conditions for EACH step -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 07:24
Hi, thank you for the explaination.
There is something mentioned in the 'LiveLink for Matlab UserGuide' (chapter 'Running the Model in a Loop'):

'To automatically vary the value of geometry settings or to combine a parametric analysis with a time-dependent or eigenfrequency study, create a batch node that contains a parametric feature.'

Then they are using a batch node and two solution sets for the sweep. In my code I did it like this and it seems to work. Is that eqal to your approach in the GUI?
Hi, thank you for the explaination. There is something mentioned in the 'LiveLink for Matlab UserGuide' (chapter 'Running the Model in a Loop'): 'To automatically vary the value of geometry settings or to combine a parametric analysis with a time-dependent or eigenfrequency study, create a batch node that contains a parametric feature.' Then they are using a batch node and two solution sets for the sweep. In my code I did it like this and it seems to work. Is that eqal to your approach in the GUI?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 14:42
Hi

Probably, but I do not have more knowledge than you to tell that exactly, and since V4 I hardly use matlab, so there are many things in the new inerface that I have not tested out

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Probably, but I do not have more knowledge than you to tell that exactly, and since V4 I hardly use matlab, so there are many things in the new inerface that I have not tested out -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.