Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh import from Mimics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to rename domains in a mesh imported from Mimics?

7 Replies Last Post 2012年4月9日 GMT-4 02:42
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vineet Rakesh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月5日 GMT-4 16:28

dear friends,

i have generated a 3d geomerty of human head using mimcs 10.1. i tried to import it into comsol 4.2a version,but while importing the file ,it shows that file is corrupted,face cannot be parameterized like problems.i have already triead with so many extension file..like .vrml, .stl, .iges etc.but it is not working .

kindly help me out in importing the model.
dear friends, i have generated a 3d geomerty of human head using mimcs 10.1. i tried to import it into comsol 4.2a version,but while importing the file ,it shows that file is corrupted,face cannot be parameterized like problems.i have already triead with so many extension file..like .vrml, .stl, .iges etc.but it is not working . kindly help me out in importing the model.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月5日 GMT-4 17:30
Try IGES file format but COMSOL pops up errors sometimes. I don't suggest STL or VRML.

You can not make any modifications if you import a meshing file. Also, you you will also see a lot of small patches on the surface. You might adjust the parameters when you are importing to get rid of the patches. But it doesn't help a lot.

I am also working on this. If you use IGES file, COMSOL reacts slowly if you are working on large geometries. I am using 64G i7 SSD PC.
Try IGES file format but COMSOL pops up errors sometimes. I don't suggest STL or VRML. You can not make any modifications if you import a meshing file. Also, you you will also see a lot of small patches on the surface. You might adjust the parameters when you are importing to get rid of the patches. But it doesn't help a lot. I am also working on this. If you use IGES file, COMSOL reacts slowly if you are working on large geometries. I am using 64G i7 SSD PC.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月6日 GMT-4 03:47
thank u so much for your kind response,but iam having a problem in importing the iges file.the basic problgm with this file is that,whenever iam importing it into comsol,it is not showing the surface.In display ,the iges looks like polylines.do u have any suggestion for making surafce from polylines in comsol.
thank u so much for your kind response,but iam having a problem in importing the iges file.the basic problgm with this file is that,whenever iam importing it into comsol,it is not showing the surface.In display ,the iges looks like polylines.do u have any suggestion for making surafce from polylines in comsol.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月6日 GMT-4 15:50
HIi, I am not sure how you created your IGES files. I am thinking that you might need to use a Reverse Engineering Software to create the surface if you only have polylines. You can search "Simpleware" for more information; or you can use other RE software to create IGES.

HIi, I am not sure how you created your IGES files. I am thinking that you might need to use a Reverse Engineering Software to create the surface if you only have polylines. You can search "Simpleware" for more information; or you can use other RE software to create IGES.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月7日 GMT-4 02:26
with the help of mimics software 10.1.1,created a 3d geometery of human head using mri data of 206 slices.im trying to export that 3d geonmetery iges file.but im importing the file into comsol ,it is showning the polyline,but after exporting.whethere a lots of option for exporting the file like .stl,.vrml,.dxf.etc. i have tried to export in form of .stl file.but during importing into comsol.it is showing and error that face cannot be parametized. if you have time,i request you to see the attach file which is a snapshot of comsol.

can u plz send me the link were i can download simpleware .
with the help of mimics software 10.1.1,created a 3d geometery of human head using mri data of 206 slices.im trying to export that 3d geonmetery iges file.but im importing the file into comsol ,it is showning the polyline,but after exporting.whethere a lots of option for exporting the file like .stl,.vrml,.dxf.etc. i have tried to export in form of .stl file.but during importing into comsol.it is showing and error that face cannot be parametized. if you have time,i request you to see the attach file which is a snapshot of comsol. can u plz send me the link were i can download simpleware .

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月7日 GMT-4 23:23
From your picture you attached, I could see a lot of small objects isolated from the main head. This is very bad. You won't be able to mesh it in the future. You have to clean the small patches using Mimics or other softwares. You can google the key word to find the simpleware. I think you can download a trial version. Your current MIMICS version is pretty old. I suggest that you'd better to use higher version which far more powerful to compete your goals.
From your picture you attached, I could see a lot of small objects isolated from the main head. This is very bad. You won't be able to mesh it in the future. You have to clean the small patches using Mimics or other softwares. You can google the key word to find the simpleware. I think you can download a trial version. Your current MIMICS version is pretty old. I suggest that you'd better to use higher version which far more powerful to compete your goals.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月9日 GMT-4 02:42
thank you sir for your immediate replies.
thank you sir for your immediate replies.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.