Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Degenerate Mesh" irretrievably halts Parametric Scans

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model the force-field topology of various permanent magnet geometries as the magnets get closer and further away from each other, using 3D modeling mfnc. Unfortunately, every time I attempt to set up a nested Parametric Scan to cover a range of magnet separations and off-axis alignments, the scan invariably halts after 20 or so evaluations with a "Degenerate Polygon -- could not insert point" type of message.

It does not reproducibly occur during the same iteration, and the magnets are not coming into close enough contact that a mesh node would touch another domain (in fact, during the parametric scan, they are getting further and further away from each other). I do notice that after a parametric sweep, the Mesh node has altered itself from "Physics Controlled" to having a entry for "User Defined, Remaining Domains"

I did set up the geometry for the model in COMSOL, using a Work-Plane and a Revolve transform. But this seems to be due to something about the parametric scan itself: If I put in the exact same parameters by hand as the failed location in the parametric search, the mesh and evaluation occur without problem.

How can I either avoid encountering the "Can't insert point" error, or at least manage to restart/continue the parametric scan with the results being placed into the correct Probe Table that had been being generated -- Continue does NOT do it?

Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 17:23
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonathan Garber

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.