Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model change in capacitance of capacitive sensor to human finger touch

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I am designing a capacitive sensor model based on electrostatic comb drive model. I have attached a copy of my model with this post for reference. I want to know the impact on capacitance(i.e. change in capacitance) of the attached sensor when human body comes into contact with the sensor. To model touch by human body(i.e. human finger), I have placed a dielectric slab of 500um thickness on top of PMMA insulator(please see the model for clear understanding) with dielectric constant of 50(I found this value on internet for <1Ghz AC signal). Is there any material inside material browser that is close to human tissue? Please let me know. Since human body is connected to ground, I have to model the dielectric slab with ground connection. Can you suggest me whats the better way to model human body(with ground connection) touching the capacitive sensor. From comsol simulation I need to measure the change in capacitance with and without touch of human finger. Any help is appreciated.
Best Regards
Kiran

2 Replies Last Post 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 18:12

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 18:09

Hi All,
I am designing a capacitive sensor model based on electrostatic comb drive model. I have attached a copy of my model with this post for reference. I want to know the impact on capacitance(i.e. change in capacitance) of the attached sensor when human body comes into contact with the sensor. To model touch by human body(i.e. human finger), I have placed a dielectric slab of 500um thickness on top of PMMA insulator(please see the model for clear understanding) with dielectric constant of 50(I found this value on internet for <1Ghz AC signal). Is there any material inside material browser that is close to human tissue? Please let me know. Since human body is connected to ground, I have to model the dielectric slab with ground connection. Can you suggest me whats the better way to model human body(with ground connection) touching the capacitive sensor. From comsol simulation I need to measure the change in capacitance with and without touch of human finger. Any help is appreciated.
Best Regards
Kiran

Hi
I am not able to attach the model. It says file extension error when attaching my .mph model

[QUOTE] Hi All, I am designing a capacitive sensor model based on electrostatic comb drive model. I have attached a copy of my model with this post for reference. I want to know the impact on capacitance(i.e. change in capacitance) of the attached sensor when human body comes into contact with the sensor. To model touch by human body(i.e. human finger), I have placed a dielectric slab of 500um thickness on top of PMMA insulator(please see the model for clear understanding) with dielectric constant of 50(I found this value on internet for

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月5日 GMT-5 18:12

I have attached the model in the below link

www.comsol.com/community/exchange/196/

I have attached the model in the below link http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/196/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.