Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Colors messed up when exporting GIF

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

When I export a GIF from COMSOL, often times the color scheme will be all messed up.

Instead of a fluid change from blue to red, I will see about 16 distinct colors. This looks terrible and is not what is shown when I export a still image.

Also, sometimes the colors will be replaced as black on large domains, completely blocking out the domain.

This is not an issue on just my computer. It is happening to my entire lab. I am running version 4.2.

Has anyone else seen this before?

~Azer

4 Replies Last Post 2013年4月11日 GMT-4 08:37
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Azer Faraclas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月10日 GMT-4 09:45
Know this is an older post, but I am having the same problem with exporting gifs/images from 3D: all result in solid black images. Is there any known solution to this?
Know this is an older post, but I am having the same problem with exporting gifs/images from 3D: all result in solid black images. Is there any known solution to this?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月10日 GMT-4 12:39
Hi

what OS and version do you have ?
I have no probem on a PC Win7-64 and v4.3a patched

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what OS and version do you have ? I have no probem on a PC Win7-64 and v4.3a patched -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月10日 GMT-4 17:26
Could be an issue with the GIF format which supports 256 colors only (8-bits). I usually export animations as AVIs with a high Quality factor setting.
Could be an issue with the GIF format which supports 256 colors only (8-bits). I usually export animations as AVIs with a high Quality factor setting.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月11日 GMT-4 08:37
Thank you for your quick response. The computer is RedHat linux and the version is 4.3a, so avi is not an option, but this also occurs with png exports. This was not an issue with 2D simulations or even smaller 3D. I found a workaround yesterday which was to switch the size from manual (which was the default) to current. Not sure why this would make the difference, but it is good enough for now as I shouldn't need custom gif sizes.
Thank you for your quick response. The computer is RedHat linux and the version is 4.3a, so avi is not an option, but this also occurs with png exports. This was not an issue with 2D simulations or even smaller 3D. I found a workaround yesterday which was to switch the size from manual (which was the default) to current. Not sure why this would make the difference, but it is good enough for now as I shouldn't need custom gif sizes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.