Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem about optimization applied to a laminar flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
i'm working on a 3D stationary simulation of brachiocefalic artery; i'm using laminar flow physics with a known velocity in inlet and a normal stress in outlet. The model geometry is a simple cylinder.

For the normal stress i'm using this formula:

S=Q*C+po (where S= normal stress; Q= flow rate; po= outlet pressure (in this case venous pressure; C= resistance coefficient)

All the data are known, except the coeffcient C that is the parameter which i want to find: so i'm using the OPTIMIZATION module.

My objective is to find the C value for which the average pressure (p) in the domain is near to a reference pressure (called Pref), so i used these settings:

INTEGRAL OBJECTIVE (applied to domain):
Objective expression: abs(p-Pref)

CONTROL VARIABLE FIELD (applied to outlet boundary) :
Control variable name: C
Initial value: 0

All other are default settings.

The problem is that the solver returns always the initial value as optimal value, even if the resultant pressure is very far from the reference one.

I tried to change mesh, initial value for variable C, i used also probe objective instead of integral objective, but the problem persists: optimization solver terminate WITHOUT errors, returning back whatever initial value used for C as the optimal value.

EXAMPLE:
Pref=15000Pa (so p should be near to this value)
C initial value = 1000

Log of simulation:
Optimization Solver 1 in Solver 1 started at 28-apr-2012 19:02:53.
Optimization solver (SNOPT)
Itns Major Minor Step nPDE Error Objective
0 0 0 - 1 2.48e-011 0.3085
Number of optimization variables: 75.
Number of objective function evaluations: 3.
Number of Jacobian evaluations: 2.
Final objective function value: 0.3085111759.
Optimality conditions satisfied.
Optimization Solver 1 in Solver 1: Solution time: 110 s. (1 minute, 50 seconds)

p average on the domain= 1460 Pa ( instead of 15000!)

What's the problem?

P.S.Tell me if you need more informatios or data.

0 Replies Last Post 2012年4月28日 GMT-4 13:13
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marco Falsini

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.