Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary conditions of applying an alternative current

Maria Eleni Mitzithra

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

i need to simulate a method which uses AC signal in a relative low frequency of 128 Hz. I have run the simulation of the same device (test Wenner) with DC giving not bad results, but now i need to simulate with AC, as it really is, hoping that it will give similar results to that of DC (since it works in low frequencies). So, i changed my module and i went to AC/DC module, on order to use the module Electric currents of quasi statics, Electrics as you have proposed to me in an earlier question. The thing is that i create points that they have to inject on to a block an alternative current, i.e. sinusoidal. However, when i go to the point boundaries i do not get the option for currents but only potentials.

If instead of the points i create surfaces i go to the surface boundaries and i write an expression for the inward current flow : 0.01sin(8t) for exemple, will it comsol understand automatically the form of the signal or should i also change the solver parameter to time dependent and adjust the time stepping etc? (on the same window i am using the time harmonic currents and not the transient electric currents, is that right?)

Thank you in advance!!!

Marilena

3 Replies Last Post 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 10:26
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月30日 GMT-4 14:03
Hi

if you want to study a transient ot time dependent model, then you must use the time stepping Study and solvers. this will define the variable "t" in [s] and allows you to give any BC input (such as a current or heat source or ...) with a time dependent function.

now if you have a steady state sinus type excitaion, you should also consider the harmonic (frequency domain) Study & solvers, as these are often faster but will give you only the rms or average values (no transient cases). You define amplitude and if required phase, then a frequency or frequency span by the solver.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want to study a transient ot time dependent model, then you must use the time stepping Study and solvers. this will define the variable "t" in [s] and allows you to give any BC input (such as a current or heat source or ...) with a time dependent function. now if you have a steady state sinus type excitaion, you should also consider the harmonic (frequency domain) Study & solvers, as these are often faster but will give you only the rms or average values (no transient cases). You define amplitude and if required phase, then a frequency or frequency span by the solver. -- Good luck Ivar

Maria Eleni Mitzithra

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 07:24
Dear Mr. Kjelberg,

thank you for your response. I am using comsol 3.5a quasi electrostatics, electric currents. In the solver parameters tab, i select the time harmonic current analysis, however in the solver list there is no frequency domain study and so i cannot see how i could define the frequency.

Thank you in advance

Marilena
Dear Mr. Kjelberg, thank you for your response. I am using comsol 3.5a quasi electrostatics, electric currents. In the solver parameters tab, i select the time harmonic current analysis, however in the solver list there is no frequency domain study and so i cannot see how i could define the frequency. Thank you in advance Marilena

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 10:26
Hi

sorry I hadnt noticed you were in 3.5, that one is getting too old, I have forgotten where the freq is hidden, and I do not have it up online anymore.

But there should be a few other 3.5 users out here to help

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry I hadnt noticed you were in 3.5, that one is getting too old, I have forgotten where the freq is hidden, and I do not have it up online anymore. But there should be a few other 3.5 users out here to help -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.