Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

can comsol support multilayer shell?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to model a membrane using shell element because thickness is quite thin compared to length and width. But the membrane is lamated with three to five different materials and thickness at different location. It seems impossible to use 3D solid model that will lead too many mesh elements. Do anyone know how to do multilayer shell in comsol?

6 Replies Last Post 2012年7月24日 GMT-4 01:06
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月3日 GMT-4 06:02
Hi

have you checked the 3D "thin film" BC properties, some can cope with multiple layers (check carefully the doc and test it out as not all properties mightbe fully developped in such cases.

I cannot really say anything about stacked shell, never tried ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the 3D "thin film" BC properties, some can cope with multiple layers (check carefully the doc and test it out as not all properties mightbe fully developped in such cases. I cannot really say anything about stacked shell, never tried ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月3日 GMT-4 08:48
I believe COMSOL does not support multi-layered shells
I believe COMSOL does not support multi-layered shells

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月3日 GMT-4 21:23
I think this kind of structure is very common in MEMS.
How a pity that Comsol can not do this.
Do anyone know other possible skills to deal wih this?
I think this kind of structure is very common in MEMS. How a pity that Comsol can not do this. Do anyone know other possible skills to deal wih this?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月4日 GMT-4 02:04
Hi

perhaps, if we are enough to ask "support" it might appear in one of the future versions. The COMSOL developpers are rather reactive and helpfull in this way.

And I agree structural FEM in COMSOL, for engineers, lacks many of the "ususal" features from other well established FEM programmes . Probably mechanics is not "sexy" enough ;)

But COMSOL remains the only one you can link in the other physics in a "natural/usual" way

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi perhaps, if we are enough to ask "support" it might appear in one of the future versions. The COMSOL developpers are rather reactive and helpfull in this way. And I agree structural FEM in COMSOL, for engineers, lacks many of the "ususal" features from other well established FEM programmes . Probably mechanics is not "sexy" enough ;) But COMSOL remains the only one you can link in the other physics in a "natural/usual" way -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月4日 GMT-4 10:05
If your concern when using 3D solid elements is the large number of elements resulting from the high aspect then you should try meshing one 2D face of the membrane and doing mesh Sweep. That way you control the mesh size in the plane and in the thickness directions independently.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If your concern when using 3D solid elements is the large number of elements resulting from the high aspect then you should try meshing one 2D face of the membrane and doing mesh Sweep. That way you control the mesh size in the plane and in the thickness directions independently. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月24日 GMT-4 01:06
Hi,
In my opinion need of laminated shell support is definitely there. Most of MEMS devices have these weird aspect ratio where using 3-D requires too many elements. Its pretty hard to handle. Sweeping a meshed surface is not possible in all cases & also results that way don't seems very reliable. I am trying to see if bucking of thin membranes (one layer as well as multilayer) due to compressive residual stress is possible to analyze but comsol isn't giving any buckling mode, even after giving small eccentric load. Can you advise me in this situation?
Thanks,
E-Mail: dangi.ajay@gmail.com
Hi, In my opinion need of laminated shell support is definitely there. Most of MEMS devices have these weird aspect ratio where using 3-D requires too many elements. Its pretty hard to handle. Sweeping a meshed surface is not possible in all cases & also results that way don't seems very reliable. I am trying to see if bucking of thin membranes (one layer as well as multilayer) due to compressive residual stress is possible to analyze but comsol isn't giving any buckling mode, even after giving small eccentric load. Can you advise me in this situation? Thanks, E-Mail: dangi.ajay@gmail.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.