Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to manage a multiphysics problem for particular domains of particular physics?

KF Mechanical Engineering | Microfluidics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am currently working on a 2D problem where I am trying to model the following physics: Thermoviscous acoustics (frequency domain), Laminar (stationary and time-dependent), Particle tracing

Particle tracing is not of immediate important - the agreement of Thermoviscous Acoustics and Laminar flow is of focus for this post.

The governing equations I am implementing is an adaptation of the Navier-Stokes equation for acoustics called Perturbation Theory (PT). PT is able to model the scenario: oscillating fluid surrouding a solid or oscillating solid surrounded by fluid. My model aims to model an oscillating fluid surrounding a solid. To model an oscillating fluid, one first needs to resolve the acoustic field solution in the frequency domain, and then sequence the results for the laminar flow solution.

The challenge I am working on is how do create solution agreement in different domains, where PT requires that I resolve the acoustic field first, prior the laminar flow, even when a particular domain of mine does not / should not experience acoustic field effects?

I've attached a few pictures of my model desing + applied theory below. There's only two domains to consider. Domain 1 (left) in a microfluidic device inlet and with understanding of PT, only laminar flow physics should be applied here. The second domain (right), is acoustically excited at the tip on the far right, where this domain should be defined to experiences thermoviscous acoustics and laminar flow, in that order.

How should I nest/sequence my studies and physics such that the solution in Domain 2 can provide a acoustic field solution for just the inlet laminar flow?

-------------------
KF

0 Replies Last Post 2021年3月13日 GMT-5 13:32
COMSOL Moderator

Hello KF

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.