Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which port type to use with RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate a CPW resonator in 3D. Can anyone help me with the chioce of the ports? In 'real life', the rf signal is fed in by several aluminum bond wires. I saw that the tutorial models cpw_bandpass_filter and coupled_line_filter (which are the closest to what I want to do) use lumped ports with the 'cable' option. However, when I do this I get errors, except when I define length and width of the lumped ports. Can anyone provide a short overview when to use lumped, rectangular or numeric ports...?

Best regards,
Diana

1 Reply Last Post 2012年5月22日 GMT-4 12:00

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月22日 GMT-4 12:00
Lumped port allows to specify your input excitation. The benefit of using it is that it can be applied to any boundaries. It's extremely useful in antenna simulations.
Port BC can be applied only to external boundaries. However it allows for much greater flexibility in specifying excitation profile.
Lumped port allows to specify your input excitation. The benefit of using it is that it can be applied to any boundaries. It's extremely useful in antenna simulations. Port BC can be applied only to external boundaries. However it allows for much greater flexibility in specifying excitation profile.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.