Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

conducting sphere in a uniform electrical field

HP Doctoral student, Uppsala University

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL and trying to simulate field enhancement of sphere surface when a conducting sphere is in a uniform electric field.

I used electrocstatic physics (2D) and gave +100V for left boundry and -100V for right boundry to generate an uniform field. In between these two boundaries, sphere is placed.

According to analytical solution, the value of electric field at the poles of sphere should be 3 times of uniform/background electric field. But I can not get that answer and the field enhancing factor varies with radius in my simulation. What would be the mistake?

I would really appreciate it if you can comment on this matter. Simulation is attached herewith

2 Replies Last Post 2021年6月30日 GMT-4 05:32
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月29日 GMT-4 15:39
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年6月29日 GMT-4 15:41

As soon as I opened your model, I noticed a big problem with it. Your 2D model is a simple X-Y plane 2D model. It is NOT an axisymmetric (R-Z) 2D model. So you are not modeling a sphere at all! The circle in your model is geometrically representative of an infinite cylinder (with its axis out of the page). This is rather different, of course, than a sphere. For the latter, you need to use an axisymmetric 2D geometry. Anyway, that's as far as I checked, before writing this reply. So you should fix that major error in your model first, then see if there are any other problems to deal with. Good luck. :)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
As soon as I opened your model, I noticed a big problem with it. Your 2D model is a simple X-Y plane 2D model. It is NOT an axisymmetric (R-Z) 2D model. So you are not modeling a sphere at all! The circle in your model is geometrically representative of an infinite *cylinder* (with its axis out of the page). This is rather different, of course, than a sphere. For the latter, you need to use an axisymmetric 2D geometry. Anyway, that's as far as I checked, before writing this reply. So you should fix that major error in your model first, *then* see if there are any other problems to deal with. Good luck. :)

HP Doctoral student, Uppsala University

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月30日 GMT-4 05:32

Dear Robert Koslover,

Thank you very much for the commect.

It works correctly.

Dear Robert Koslover, Thank you very much for the commect. It works correctly.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.