Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adaptive mesh refinement on frequency scans

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me understand the issue of adaptive meshing on frequency scans.

In principle I would like each frequency to have its own mesh. For low frequencies it's enough to have a course grid, whereas high frequencies are harder to resolve and require denser grids. In practice I think that a single mesh is used for all frequencies.

1. If true, than which solution (out of the entire set of solutions at multiple frequencies) is used for refinement? Is it the lowest or highest frequency, or maybe information from all solutions is used?

2. Can one impose a different mesh for each frequency?

3. Along the same lines, can one have different adaptive mesh refinement for each frequency?

Thanks, Silviu.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年7月5日 GMT-4 03:22
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月3日 GMT-4 08:51
Hi

I can propose a few methods, you can set the max mesh size by a variableand have this variable updated by thecurrent frequency value, if you are then in adaptive mesh it would have adapted values (but this does not mean it will decide to remsh)
Next issue is to get COMSOL to remesh, this is normally checked with the specific Parametric Sweep node you put ahead of the other solver nodes, then you will get a fresh remesh with each time adapted mesh size to the frequency.

I believe there is an example in the model library, or it's part of the many tricks you learn in the COMSOL mesh training course, cannot remmeer clerly ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can propose a few methods, you can set the max mesh size by a variableand have this variable updated by thecurrent frequency value, if you are then in adaptive mesh it would have adapted values (but this does not mean it will decide to remsh) Next issue is to get COMSOL to remesh, this is normally checked with the specific Parametric Sweep node you put ahead of the other solver nodes, then you will get a fresh remesh with each time adapted mesh size to the frequency. I believe there is an example in the model library, or it's part of the many tricks you learn in the COMSOL mesh training course, cannot remmeer clerly ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月5日 GMT-4 03:22
Hi Ivar,

Many thanks, your solution works...

Silviu.
Hi Ivar, Many thanks, your solution works... Silviu.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.