Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat generation problem/ Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Ivar,

I am trying to solve a simple heat transfer problem, where I have to define the rate of heat generation as a linear function.

Please see the attachment, here a1 and a2 are constant and rate of heat generation is different at the sections which is represented in terms of equation.

Request you to please see and let me know how to define these linear functions in FUNCTION.

Rgrds,

--
ishant.jain@tatasteel.com

3 Replies Last Post 2012年7月11日 GMT-4 02:58
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 03:30
Hi

you can define "easily" cylindrical coordinates (Definitions coordinate systems) then you can use these to map your BCs. And do not forget that the entries in most specific BC and physics "variable" entries are for "fields", i.e. you define a Q(x,y,z,t) or Q(r,phi,z,t) or ... as well as T(x,y,z,t) ...

Learn to read the difference of a V scalar and V a field = V(x,y,z,t) the notation is not showing it, but depending on where you write V for a "variable" it can be a constant = Parameter, a scalar or a field depending on coordinate and or time properties

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can define "easily" cylindrical coordinates (Definitions coordinate systems) then you can use these to map your BCs. And do not forget that the entries in most specific BC and physics "variable" entries are for "fields", i.e. you define a Q(x,y,z,t) or Q(r,phi,z,t) or ... as well as T(x,y,z,t) ... Learn to read the difference of a V scalar and V a field = V(x,y,z,t) the notation is not showing it, but depending on where you write V for a "variable" it can be a constant = Parameter, a scalar or a field depending on coordinate and or time properties -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 03:36
I am still not been able to get what you have mentioned.

Could you please explain or send some example where I can see.

--
I am still not been able to get what you have mentioned. Could you please explain or send some example where I can see. -- ishant.jain@tatasteel.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月11日 GMT-4 02:58
Solution is :

The equation for heat source is defined in the analytical
function and this analytical function is used for providing the heat source
in the Heat Transfer in solids physics.
--
Solution is : The equation for heat source is defined in the analytical function and this analytical function is used for providing the heat source in the Heat Transfer in solids physics. -- ishant.jain@tatasteel.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.