Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

pipe flow with some particles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to build a model having fluid flow in a pipe with heat transfer with also some sand /solid particles ,and i am interested in velocity,temp distribution and i am not getting how to introduce solid particles in the model pls help ??

15 Replies Last Post 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 17:45

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月9日 GMT-4 22:57
Dear Mr.
which version of comsol u use
Dear Mr. which version of comsol u use

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:15
i use 4.2 version
thanks
i use 4.2 version thanks

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:24
Hi Vishal,

If the number of solid particles is significant enough to affect the fluid or thermal properties consider using a multiphase mixture model. If not consider solving the fluid-thermal problem first then adding the solid particles using the particle tracing module.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Vishal, If the number of solid particles is significant enough to affect the fluid or thermal properties consider using a multiphase mixture model. If not consider solving the fluid-thermal problem first then adding the solid particles using the particle tracing module. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:29
Actually i have to model a pipe line with fluid flow having solid particle which affect the properties under high temp /flux,please tell me which different physics i should use to accomplish this ,i have used laminar flow,heat transfer in fluids till now.
Thanks
Actually i have to model a pipe line with fluid flow having solid particle which affect the properties under high temp /flux,please tell me which different physics i should use to accomplish this ,i have used laminar flow,heat transfer in fluids till now. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:32
If you have any good tutorial related to this model please provide me ,
Thanks
If you have any good tutorial related to this model please provide me , Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:34
Change the laminar fluid model to laminar multiphase flow. There are different choices in COMSOL for multiphase flow. Based on what you described I suggest using the mixture model. COMSOL gives it the name Mixture Model, Laminar Flow (mm).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Change the laminar fluid model to laminar multiphase flow. There are different choices in COMSOL for multiphase flow. Based on what you described I suggest using the mixture model. COMSOL gives it the name Mixture Model, Laminar Flow (mm). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 11:37
Thanks for the help i will let u know if there is any problem,
Thanks for the help i will let u know if there is any problem,

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 12:02
while using multiphase mixing model ,what i did i used 2d axisymmetric geometry and i want to use water with some sand particle in pipe,so i have selected water and sand as material but i dont know how to select domain for these two materials ,as i have only 1 domain ,i have given the inlet condition as velocity and outlet -pressure,
Please tell me how to resolve this issue, and if u want i can attach my model file.
please let me know
while using multiphase mixing model ,what i did i used 2d axisymmetric geometry and i want to use water with some sand particle in pipe,so i have selected water and sand as material but i dont know how to select domain for these two materials ,as i have only 1 domain ,i have given the inlet condition as velocity and outlet -pressure, Please tell me how to resolve this issue, and if u want i can attach my model file. please let me know

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 12:34
i have resolved the domain problem .but if there is any way to visualize the solid particle in the flow
Thanks
i have resolved the domain problem .but if there is any way to visualize the solid particle in the flow Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 12:38
can u provide me a good tutorial related to this,
Thanks
can u provide me a good tutorial related to this, Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 12:47
No I don’t think you can visualize individual particles using this method. There is a volume fraction variable that tracks the volume fraction of the dispersed field which in your case is the solid particles. There are several examples in the model gallery on multiphase flow that are very informative.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
No I don’t think you can visualize individual particles using this method. There is a volume fraction variable that tracks the volume fraction of the dispersed field which in your case is the solid particles. There are several examples in the model gallery on multiphase flow that are very informative. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月10日 GMT-4 12:48
okay i will try wid that .
thanks
okay i will try wid that . thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月11日 GMT-4 12:46
Hi, please tell me how to use particle tracing in my case ?
thanks.
Hi, please tell me how to use particle tracing in my case ? thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月12日 GMT-4 11:23
i am using multiphase mixing laminar model to model silica sand particles in water in a pipe,but i want to know that how i can change the mixing fraction of silica sand for various case,i am interested in velocity and temp profile,Pleae help.
Thanks
i am using multiphase mixing laminar model to model silica sand particles in water in a pipe,but i want to know that how i can change the mixing fraction of silica sand for various case,i am interested in velocity and temp profile,Pleae help. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 17:45
i am using multiphase mixing laminar model to model silica sand particles in water in a pipe,but i want to know that how i can change the mixing fraction of silica sand for various case,i am interested in velocity and temp profile,Pleae help.
Thanks
i am using multiphase mixing laminar model to model silica sand particles in water in a pipe,but i want to know that how i can change the mixing fraction of silica sand for various case,i am interested in velocity and temp profile,Pleae help. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.