Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What does the "pressure" value mean in the acoustics(frequency domain)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I am a beginner to comsol(acoustics). I have some enquires regarding the acoustic. I am simulating rectangular open end tube, with pressure input(8699Pa) from one end. Matlab is used for data process.

References: 1. The pressure vs distance(z-axis) figure 2. Opentube pressure txt file

Specifications: 1. Rectangular tube length: [2m] 2. Rectangular cross section: [0.008m x 0.02m]

Conditions: 1. [1D Plane wave radiation] 2. [Frequency domain] 3. [Pressure in: 8699Pa in amplitude] 4. [Frequency: 2000Hz] 5. [Speed of sound = 340m/s] 6. [Wavenumber = 36.95 m^-1]

Using general pressure equation, p(x,t)= A exp(jwt-jkx) In freqeuncy domain, temporal term is gone, ony spatial term remains (exp(-jkx)).

From the references(1.) , the pressure(RED) is in a cyclic pattern, my question is what does it represent, mathematically and in physical sense? The pressure keeps fluctuating across the z-axis which I dont understand.

Your input is very much appreciated. Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 2021年12月29日 GMT-5 11:18
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月29日 GMT-5 11:18
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年12月29日 GMT-5 11:18

In a frequency-dependent calculation, all quantities are phasors.

Physical quantities (pressure, velocity, etc.) cannot be imaginary. To convert phasors to time-dependent quanities, write

v(t)=real(V*e^jwt)

where V is the complex phasor.

Important note: when Comsol is asked to plot a complex quantity, the default is for it to plot the real part of that complex quantity.

In a frequency-dependent calculation, all quantities are phasors. Physical quantities (pressure, velocity, etc.) cannot be imaginary. To convert phasors to time-dependent quanities, write v(t)=real(V*e^jwt) where V is the complex phasor. Important note: when Comsol is asked to plot a complex quantity, the default is for it to plot the real part of that complex quantity.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.