Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D induction heating meodelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm a beginner on Comsol and I'm trying to produce a 3d induction heating model. I did a 2d previously and I was able to run it without problems. But on the 3d I have the following error message :

- Feature: Time-dependant Solver 1 (sol/t1)
- Error: Failed to find initial values
- Comsol assertion failure.

Could someone tell me if the 3d requires more boundary conditions or if I might miss-understood something?

Thank you!

Patrice G.

7 Replies Last Post 2012年10月12日 GMT-4 03:29
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Patrice Gouin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 03:29
Hello,
I am also doing Induction hetaing in §d work space, m also geting a same error.
Could you able to find any solution? please let me know know.
Thank you
Hello, I am also doing Induction hetaing in §d work space, m also geting a same error. Could you able to find any solution? please let me know know. Thank you

Andrea Ferrario COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 08:08
Patrice, Chirag,

are you using version 4.0a? Please try with a more recent version and the error should disappear.

--
Andrea Ferrario
Electromagnetics Group
COMSOL AB
Patrice, Chirag, are you using version 4.0a? Please try with a more recent version and the error should disappear. -- Andrea Ferrario Electromagnetics Group COMSOL AB

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 08:48
hi all,

Now I'm using Comsol 4.2.
Instead of having an error, the model just don't give any answer, but when I added fillet to my sharp edge it works. Unfortunately, the simulation don't give the same results I obtained experimentally.

Is someone knows if we have to put an initial current higher which will stabilize by itself?

Pat G.
hi all, Now I'm using Comsol 4.2. Instead of having an error, the model just don't give any answer, but when I added fillet to my sharp edge it works. Unfortunately, the simulation don't give the same results I obtained experimentally. Is someone knows if we have to put an initial current higher which will stabilize by itself? Pat G.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 10:21
Hi

do not forget that sharp edges are singularities in many physics, as you do not know how to define a x-y-z spatial derivative on such a vertex

Also v4.0 was the first one out not really ironed out either, I strongly suggest to rebuild your model fully in a newer version (not jsut load in and "translate" this applies particularly for the pre 4.1, as backward compatibility is far better for the latest versions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do not forget that sharp edges are singularities in many physics, as you do not know how to define a x-y-z spatial derivative on such a vertex Also v4.0 was the first one out not really ironed out either, I strongly suggest to rebuild your model fully in a newer version (not jsut load in and "translate" this applies particularly for the pre 4.1, as backward compatibility is far better for the latest versions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 13:37
Hi all,
I'm trying to upload my model in this forum but it's too big. Does someone know how to save it without the solution?

Thank you

Pat G.
Hi all, I'm trying to upload my model in this forum but it's too big. Does someone know how to save it without the solution? Thank you Pat G.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月11日 GMT-4 15:48
Hi

indeed yes, check the forum more regularly, or try a search ... Or even read the doc ;)

But if you go to (depends on version) edit clear all solutions edit claer all mesh then File reset history you should strongly reduce the model size. Anyhow one should always do this before uploading a model (at least in V4) as lse we will overload the forum disk with not very useful data. (do not DELETE, just clear

Some issues: in older v3.5a you loose your mesh, and the meshing history is NOT stored so perhaps try to NOT clear the mesh for v3.5a

for complex conditional and copled sovler sequences, these might reset their initial pointer settings in v4.3.
Workaround, once cleared all solutions, generate the initial conditions of the first "master(s)* solving sequences, from which the unsolved variables are loaded from, then check the logic of the initial conditions of all solvers, then delete the mesh and save. (this workaround only concerns complex linked solver sequences, and probably will behave better & easier from next patch, at least that is what I understood from "support" on my inquiry). Anyho I strongly suggest that you get a more mature version than 4.0.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed yes, check the forum more regularly, or try a search ... Or even read the doc ;) But if you go to (depends on version) edit clear all solutions edit claer all mesh then File reset history you should strongly reduce the model size. Anyhow one should always do this before uploading a model (at least in V4) as lse we will overload the forum disk with not very useful data. (do not DELETE, just clear Some issues: in older v3.5a you loose your mesh, and the meshing history is NOT stored so perhaps try to NOT clear the mesh for v3.5a for complex conditional and copled sovler sequences, these might reset their initial pointer settings in v4.3. Workaround, once cleared all solutions, generate the initial conditions of the first "master(s)* solving sequences, from which the unsolved variables are loaded from, then check the logic of the initial conditions of all solvers, then delete the mesh and save. (this workaround only concerns complex linked solver sequences, and probably will behave better & easier from next patch, at least that is what I understood from "support" on my inquiry). Anyho I strongly suggest that you get a more mature version than 4.0. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月12日 GMT-4 03:29
Hello Patrice,
I am using latest version of comsol, and the error was like following:
Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution is not converged.
Please guide me if anyone having an idea about it.

It would be greatful if you upload your model.
Thanks a lot.,

Chirag Oza
Hello Patrice, I am using latest version of comsol, and the error was like following: Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter. Divergence of the linear iterations. Returned solution is not converged. Please guide me if anyone having an idea about it. It would be greatful if you upload your model. Thanks a lot., Chirag Oza

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.