Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error Correction in COMSOL Document

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In "Heat Transfer Module > User's Guide > Theory for the Heat Transfer Module > Theory for Thermal Contact", the relative pressure p ⁄ Hc calculated by the follwing equation is from the Ref.1.

P/Hc=(P/(c1(1.62sigma/sigma0m)^c2))^(1/(1+0.071c2)); 1. A. Bejan and others, Heat Transfer Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.

However, in many other papers, containing the reference of the wrong equation in Ref.1, p ⁄ Hc using the following equation instead. The difference with the above one is its math symbol before the variable m.

P/Hc=(P/(c1(1.62sigma/sigma0/m)^c2))^(1/(1+0.071c2)); *2. S. Song and others, Relative Contact Pressure: Dependence on Surface Roughness and Vickers Microhardness, Journal of thermophysics and heat transfer, 1988. 3. M. Bahrami and others. Modeling Thermal Contact Resistance: A Scale Anslysis Approach, J. Heat Transfer, 2004.

I am not sure if it has other influence in Comsol, though any impacts has not had on CMY conductance model in my limited simulation.

1 Reply Last Post 2022年3月7日 GMT-5 07:36
Anthony Paumier COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年3月7日 GMT-5 07:36

Dear 程万里 鹏,

Thank you for posting on the Discussion Forum. You are right, there is a mistake in our documentation. I want to emphasize that the equations are solved using the correct formula: as you wrote it, so there is no worries to have about the results.

Thank you for pointing out this mistake, we have corrected the documentation.

Best regards,

Anthony Paumier

Dear 程万里 鹏, Thank you for posting on the Discussion Forum. You are right, there is a mistake in our documentation. I want to emphasize that the equations are solved using the correct formula: \frac{p}{H_c} = \left(\frac{p}{c_1 \left(1.62 \frac{\sigma_\textrm{asp}}{m_\textrm{asp} \sigma_0} \right)^{c_2}} \right)^\frac{1}{1+0.071 c_2} as you wrote it, so there is no worries to have about the results. Thank you for pointing out this mistake, we have corrected the documentation. Best regards, Anthony Paumier

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.