Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Data from other sources imported to COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, Is it possible to import simulation result data from other sources to COMSOL and run further analysis? For example, if a semiconductor structure's carrier concentration data is available from another source, and I want to see the variation of it due to a external heat source and so, I want to simulation the thermal simulation in COMSOL. If it is possible, can you please give me an idea? Is the data can be imported via meshing import?

8 Replies Last Post 2022年4月27日 GMT-4 15:28
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月12日 GMT-4 16:46

Hello,

You can use interpolation functions for that purpose.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello, You can use interpolation functions for that purpose. Best, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月25日 GMT-4 17:01

Hello,

You can use interpolation functions for that purpose.

Best,

Jeff

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Are you mentioning the interpolation function used in defining material parameters in terms of another variable? The thing I am trying right now is that I have a coordinate dataset, where each (x,y) coordinate has its carrier concentration value. So for example, a 2D surface has already a variation of carrier concentration defined by the coordinate. Now if I apply an external voltage accross the device, or if there may be an external heat source, there should be an additional temperature gradient accross the whole structure, and thus carrier concentration might go through a variation, which will be different from the initial coordinate data.

Am I making sense? Is there any way it can be done. Thanks again

>Hello, > >You can use interpolation functions for that purpose. > >Best, > >Jeff Thanks for the reply, Jeff. Are you mentioning the interpolation function used in defining material parameters in terms of another variable? The thing I am trying right now is that I have a coordinate dataset, where each (x,y) coordinate has its carrier concentration value. So for example, a 2D surface has already a variation of carrier concentration defined by the coordinate. Now if I apply an external voltage accross the device, or if there may be an external heat source, there should be an additional temperature gradient accross the whole structure, and thus carrier concentration might go through a variation, which will be different from the initial coordinate data. Am I making sense? Is there any way it can be done. Thanks again

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月25日 GMT-4 17:08

Interpolation functions can take coordinates as arguments.

With that said, if the two physics are strongly coupled, as I understand from your latest message, it seems that you will want to solve them both in COMSOL, which likely negates your reason for importing data in the first place.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Interpolation functions can take coordinates as arguments. With that said, if the two physics are strongly coupled, as I understand from your latest message, it seems that you will want to solve them both in COMSOL, which likely negates your reason for importing data in the first place. Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月26日 GMT-4 14:52

Interpolation functions can take coordinates as arguments.

With that said, if the two physics are strongly coupled, as I understand from your latest message, it seems that you will want to solve them both in COMSOL, which likely negates your reason for importing data in the first place.

Jeff

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

The structure I am trying a Quantum well laser structure simulated via different software. I am skeptical about the thermal performance I am getting, so I am thinking importing the results from that software and run a basic thermal simulation in COMSOL. If I am not mistaken, COMSOL cannot not be used for quantum well or quantum dot laser, right? That's where my struggle is. I can have sectionwise mesh files (the simplest coordinate based) from the software I am using which will contain all the information like carrier distribution, current density or other data, and want to import that data to COMSOL to have a more realistic temperature distribution. But I am confused. Because I am not only trying importing mesh data or material properties which will build the geometry of the structure, I am also trying to import voltage distribution/current density types of data which are simulated results from the other software. Can I do that and can COMSOL recognize these data? Can these data be used for a simulation in COMSOL?

>Interpolation functions can take coordinates as arguments. > >With that said, if the two physics are strongly coupled, as I understand from your latest message, it seems that you will want to solve them both in COMSOL, which likely negates your reason for importing data in the first place. > >Jeff Thanks. I really appreciate your help. The structure I am trying a Quantum well laser structure simulated via different software. I am skeptical about the thermal performance I am getting, so I am thinking importing the results from that software and run a basic thermal simulation in COMSOL. If I am not mistaken, COMSOL cannot not be used for quantum well or quantum dot laser, right? That's where my struggle is. I can have sectionwise mesh files (the simplest coordinate based) from the software I am using which will contain all the information like carrier distribution, current density or other data, and want to import that data to COMSOL to have a more realistic temperature distribution. But I am confused. Because I am not only trying importing mesh data or material properties which will build the geometry of the structure, I am also trying to import voltage distribution/current density types of data which are simulated results from the other software. Can I do that and can COMSOL recognize these data? Can these data be used for a simulation in COMSOL?

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月26日 GMT-4 15:08
Updated: 2 years ago 2022年4月27日 GMT-4 02:11

As to your first question: The answer depends not on the name of the technology but on the equations you want to solve and on the products you have access to. Look into the capabilities of the Semiconductor Module (https://www.comsol.com/semiconductor-module); it may do what you need.

As to your second and third questions: Yes, you could read data produced by some other software (or even measured data) into interpolation functions, and then call those functions in your heat transfer physics. Just try it with some made-up data and a toy geometry and you'll see that it works.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
As to your first question: The answer depends not on the name of the technology but on the equations you want to solve and on the products you have access to. Look into the capabilities of the Semiconductor Module (); it may do what you need. As to your second and third questions: Yes, you could read data produced by some other software (or even measured data) into interpolation functions, and then call those functions in your heat transfer physics. Just try it with some made-up data and a toy geometry and you'll see that it works. Best, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月26日 GMT-4 15:14

Thank you.

Do you have any tutorial readily available for this interpolation scheme? Is it related to the material definition or meshing?

Thank you. Do you have any tutorial readily available for this interpolation scheme? Is it related to the material definition or meshing?

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月26日 GMT-4 15:22
Updated: 2 years ago 2022年4月27日 GMT-4 08:37

I'll refer you to the Reference Manual, version 6.0, and its section on Interpolation Functions, starting on page 345. There are also many blog posts and examples in the Application Gallery section of this website that discuss this topic. Should you still have any doubt, please contact our technical support team, if your license is eligible for that service.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
I'll refer you to the Reference Manual, version 6.0, and its section on Interpolation Functions, starting on page 345. There are also many blog posts and examples in the Application Gallery section of this website that discuss this topic. Should you still have any doubt, please contact our technical support team, if your license is eligible for that service. Best, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月27日 GMT-4 15:28

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated.

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.