Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF, 3D rib waveguide propagation. The no solution / poor convergence issue.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modeling a complex 3D rib waveguide structure. I'm following the examples and solving boundary modes for both ports (1 excited) in study 1, and then choosing the correct mode I want to propagate for a frequency domain analysis in study 2.

Study 2 will not converge. At first it was solving but giving me no solution, and I discovered my mesh size was not fine enough. I think this is a problem a lot seem to be having on these forums, and is why we get 0 field everywhere- The BiCGStab iterative solver just fails at step 0 (doesn't go thru the converging sequence).

So basically I shrunk my propagation distance substancially in order to get a fine enough mesh and reasonable solve time, and now it gets to the BiCGStab iterative sequence, but never converges after 300, 500, 1000 iterations.

It seems something like the waveguide-coupler example, where the structure and input mode are extremely simple, is the only thing that it can propagate?

Any help or discussion would be much appreciated.

-Kevin

1 Reply Last Post 2012年9月17日 GMT-4 12:56

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月17日 GMT-4 12:56
Try direct solver.
Try direct solver.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.