Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with visualizing component of E field - please help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have been working to create a model of two conductor plates with a hole through the center. I am interested in the uniformity of the E field between the plates and decided to use a surface plot to show the x component of the E field (Ex) on a 2d cut plane view of my geometry.

My problem is that the color legend shows that there is some E field in the conductor plates near the center hole - of course this is not possible. The problem is worsened when I decrease the range for the color legend.

I have tried meshing more finely, but nothing seems to make a difference. When I plot actual E field lines, there is clearly no E field anywhere inside the plates, so I don't think there is any problem with my model.

Can you please take a look at my screenshots and help me find the problem? I would attach my model, but it is over the allowed file size for attachments.

thank you

i49.tinypic.com/2u76s20.png

i46.tinypic.com/wwn7e8.png

3 Replies Last Post 2012年10月3日 GMT-4 12:33

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月2日 GMT-4 18:11
Actually, you don't need to solve equations inside of the conductor. Exclude the conductor from the list of domain. Then apply PEC to conductor's boundaries.

What you are seeing now is probably some kind of skin effect which is very real.
Actually, you don't need to solve equations inside of the conductor. Exclude the conductor from the list of domain. Then apply PEC to conductor's boundaries. What you are seeing now is probably some kind of skin effect which is very real.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月2日 GMT-4 18:35

Actually, you don't need to solve equations inside of the conductor. Exclude the conductor from the list of domain. Then apply PEC to conductor's boundaries.

What you are seeing now is probably some kind of skin effect which is very real.

Thank you for the quick reply. Would you mind expanding on what you mean by "excluding the conductor from the list of domain"? What boundary conditions do I need to apply to the conductor boundary?

Thank you for your patience - I'm a student and am very new at this.
[QUOTE] Actually, you don't need to solve equations inside of the conductor. Exclude the conductor from the list of domain. Then apply PEC to conductor's boundaries. What you are seeing now is probably some kind of skin effect which is very real. [/QUOTE] Thank you for the quick reply. Would you mind expanding on what you mean by "excluding the conductor from the list of domain"? What boundary conditions do I need to apply to the conductor boundary? Thank you for your patience - I'm a student and am very new at this.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月3日 GMT-4 12:33
just follow this example: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/8613/
It's well explained there.
just follow this example: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/8613/ It's well explained there.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.