Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

4.3 to 4.2a backwards compatibility??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, i'm just back from the Boston conference and had carried out a bit of work on a model in 4.3 at the demo stations. I'm using 4.2a on my machine and the model won't open, just getting the message;

'Model created with a later version of COMSOL'

Has anyone else had this issue and how can I resolve it?

Cheers in advance!

4 Replies Last Post 2012年10月10日 GMT-4 13:32
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月10日 GMT-4 07:48
Hi

from my knowledge COMSOL as many softare is ONLY upward compatible. But you might be able to open the file or to open the programme new and old and cut and paste the formulas into the older one. But you have also new features in v4.3a that do not exist n 4.2

I mostly recreate my models in any new version, I open both and cut and past over. And I redo my model and improve the structure, but for complex models with houndred of nodes this can take quite some time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my knowledge COMSOL as many softare is ONLY upward compatible. But you might be able to open the file or to open the programme new and old and cut and paste the formulas into the older one. But you have also new features in v4.3a that do not exist n 4.2 I mostly recreate my models in any new version, I open both and cut and past over. And I redo my model and improve the structure, but for complex models with houndred of nodes this can take quite some time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月10日 GMT-4 08:25
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at the release notes for 4.3 and it seems that it should be compatibile this statement is what I found on the site:

"We have strived to achieve backward compatibility with the previous version and to include all functionality that is available there. COMSOL 4.3 is compatible with COMSOL 3.5a, COMSOL 4.0, COMSOL 4.0a, COMSOL 4.1, COMSOL 4.2, and COMSOL 4.2a with a few exceptions."

www.comsol.com/support/releasenotes/4.3/

Maybe i'm one of the exceptions!!

-Jimmy-
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at the release notes for 4.3 and it seems that it should be compatibile this statement is what I found on the site: "We have strived to achieve backward compatibility with the previous version and to include all functionality that is available there. COMSOL 4.3 is compatible with COMSOL 3.5a, COMSOL 4.0, COMSOL 4.0a, COMSOL 4.1, COMSOL 4.2, and COMSOL 4.2a with a few exceptions." http://www.comsol.com/support/releasenotes/4.3/ Maybe i'm one of the exceptions!! -Jimmy-

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月10日 GMT-4 13:26

"We have strived to achieve backward compatibility with the previous version and to include all functionality that is available there. COMSOL 4.3 is compatible with COMSOL 3.5a, COMSOL 4.0, COMSOL 4.0a, COMSOL 4.1, COMSOL 4.2, and COMSOL 4.2a with a few exceptions."

I think it means that you can open older versions from 4.3 but not vice versa.
[QUOTE] "We have strived to achieve backward compatibility with the previous version and to include all functionality that is available there. COMSOL 4.3 is compatible with COMSOL 3.5a, COMSOL 4.0, COMSOL 4.0a, COMSOL 4.1, COMSOL 4.2, and COMSOL 4.2a with a few exceptions." [/QUOTE] I think it means that you can open older versions from 4.3 but not vice versa.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月10日 GMT-4 13:32

Version 4.3 is backward compatible, meaning with version 4.3 you can open (most) files created with older versions.
The software is not forward compatible: an older version cannot open files created with more recent versions.
Version 4.3 is backward compatible, meaning with version 4.3 you can open (most) files created with older versions. The software is not forward compatible: an older version cannot open files created with more recent versions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.