Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bruggeman Model vs Tortuosity Model in Ion Exchange Membranes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am working on an electrodialysis cell used in seawater desalination in COMSOL Multiphysics (Figure 1). To simulate ionic transport, I used the physics of Tertiary Current Distribution, Nernst-Planck. As shown in Figure 2, there is an option called (Effective Transport Parameter Correction) used for correcting the ionic diffusion coefficients. In this option, there are two main models: Bruggeman and Tortuosity. I was not able to find enough information that could help me choose which model is better for my case study. Would you please help me in these models regarding the equations used and which model is commonly used in Ion exchange membranes for electrodialysis?

1 Reply Last Post 2023年5月15日 GMT-4 07:45

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 12 months ago 2023年5月15日 GMT-4 07:45

We studied this issue in our recent paper, doi.org/10.1002/celc.202200403

We did not apply any specific models but fitted experimental data into a theory presented in the paper. The result is that the effective diffusion coefficients are only a few percent of their values in an aqueous solution.

We studied this issue in our recent paper, doi.org/10.1002/celc.202200403 We did not apply any specific models but fitted experimental data into a theory presented in the paper. The result is that the effective diffusion coefficients are only a few percent of their values in an aqueous solution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.